Live Review: Her's | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Live Review: Her’s

Letty Gardner enjoys a night of idiosyncratic dream pop and kitsch stage banter at the Hare & Hounds, courtesy of Her's

Playing the intimate Room 2 of acclaimed Brum venue Hare and Hounds, dreampop outfit Her’s performed a set full of comedy, heart-warming interludes, and off-kilter indie pop.

Recounting to the crowd tales of empty gigs in seaside town pubs, the duo joked about building themselves up through gigging and touring
Having seen Her’s support Happyness in the same venue a year ago, I was apprehensive to see how the duo could headline their own gig, as supporting Happyness, Her’s were effective, though shy and awkward. At their own show, however, these traits were only amplified to comic degrees, exaggerating the band’s wide-eyed sense of humour to the small crowd. Her’s have grown in confidence over this year. Recounting to the crowd tales of empty gigs in seaside town pubs, the duo joked about how they’ve built themselves up through the gigging and the touring, and their peculiar performance on a ‘rock and roll Wednesday’ in King’s Heath was testimony to this.

Introducing new track ‘Love On the Line (Call Now)’ with ‘if you have the internet at your house you might’ve heard this one already’, the duo played a lot of tracks from the upcoming album, which, they hinted, has been mastered. The small crowd played to these tracks with as much enthusiasm as those from Songs of Her’s, the 2017 album. Tunes such as ‘Cool With You’, ‘What Once Was’, and ‘Speed Racer’ saw Stephen Fitzpatrick (lead guitar) and Audun Laading (bass guitar) amplify the energy on stage, mirrored by the audience.

Comedic interludes were interlaced with technical problems, only lengthening the band’s chat with the audience
Comedic interludes were interlaced with technical problems, only lengthening the band’s chat with the audience. One such technical glitch lead to Fitzpatrick performing a dramatic 20-second cover of Robbie Williams’ ‘She’s the One’, much to the audience’s delight. This kind of kitsch humour was the band’s forte throughout the night.

Her’s do not shy away from performance. They fully engage with the audience, making their set feel like a shared experience rather than watching a distanced band perform on a stage. The intimate, pink-lit smoky Room 2 of the Hare & Hounds added to this, and I found myself grinning throughout their performance, Her’s are definitely a band to catch live.

Her's second studio album is anticipated for release in 2018. Keep up with Her's via their Soundcloud.

Second year English student

15th May 2018 at 9:00 am

London in Stereo