Live Review: Marsicans | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Live Review: Marsicans

Josh Parker catches Marsicans' support slot for Jaws at the Institute, finding their short set to be reason to believe the hype

On Friday night, Jaws returned to their hometown of Birmingham to wrap up their twelve-leg tour of the UK in some style, bringing along Leeds’s Marsicans for the ride. Sounding like a somewhat grittier Little Comets, the self-professed ‘dirty poppers’ gave the audience a taste of some of their biggest hits to date in their half-hour supporting slot.It didn’t take long for the foursome to show why they are considered one of Yorkshire’s most exciting new bands.

Kicking things off with live staple, ‘Arms of Another’, Marsicans soon had a large section of the youthful Brummie crowd jumping along, which continued throughout their eight-song set. New single, ‘Throw Ourselves In’, which has received a lot of airplay from Radio 1 DJ Huw Stephens, quickly followed to the crowd’s great appreciation. The highlight of their set, though, was recent single, ‘Too Good’, which they decided to drop in about halfway through. If there was any song that truly outlined their potential to one day return here as headliners, it was this one, having been one of the finest indie songs to come out over summer.

Marsicans soon had a large section of the youthful Brummie crowd jumping along, which continued throughout their eight-song set
It’s always refreshing to see a band show such raw energy and enjoyment in the performance they’re giving. In particular, lead guitarist Oli Jameson genuinely appeared to be having the time of his life, bounding about the stage with a grin never leaving his face during their more energetic songs, such as ‘Friends’ and ‘Swimming’. In contrast to these, ‘Wake Up Freya’, which is yet to be released, provided the most intimate moment of the set and showcased their ability to take a softer approach to songwriting. They rounded their set off with ‘Absence’, which left the crowd perfectly warmed up for the impending arrival of headliners Jaws.

This was the third time that I’ve seen Marsicans play live, and this was their most promising performance yet. Having built a solid following in the North of England through their extensive touring, this supporting slot will have done the band no harm whatsoever in enhancing this fanbase further south.

Marsicans will headline The Sunflower Lounge on March 1st 2018. Tickets are available here.

2nd year History student. (@JoshParker38)

BBC