Single Review: Catfish and The Bottlemen - Pacifier | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Catfish and The Bottlemen – Pacifier

Giulia Bardelli sees consistency in the Indie-Rock newbies' sixth single

Catfish and The Bottlemen have recently announced that their latest single ‘Pacifier’ will be released on November the 24th. The Welsh four-piece have already made a name for themselves by completely selling out their UK Autumn tour: Not bad for a band who has decided to build up their following slowly.

‘Pacifier’ echoes the sounds of The Killers, with a lot more guitar and drums – yet never comes across as too Rock & Roll. Although its lyrics can at times distract from the upbeat instrumental, thankfully there are moments between them when we are able admire its driving guitar riff.

Unlike other indie bands, Lead singer Van McCann has a very idiosyncratic voice, which you are bound to recognise. He writes many of the bands songs and whilst the meaning behind ‘Pacifier’ is a dejected one, McCann makes sure to include a back story that is relatable to most of his audience. Inspired by an abominable moment of the artist’s life, the song tells the tale of a relationship with an ex-girlfriend whose mother died when she was young. Another layer to the story is added by the music video, in which the band find themselves in a football version of Fight Club  as described by video director James Moore.

Although to some ‘Pacifier’ might sound all too familiar, its upbeat tempo heard live will definitely intoxicate a crowd

Although to some ‘Pacifier’ might sound all too familiar, its upbeat tempo heard live will definitely intoxicate a crowd. This single may not be showcasing Catfish and The Bottlemen’s utmost potential, especially compared to previous efforts such as ‘Rango’. Still, it is evident that they have established a characteristic sound as up and coming artists, and are a band to look out for in the near future.

20 year old politics student (@giulia_bardelli)