Single Review: DAME - Habit | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: DAME – Habit

DAME make good on all their potential, creating a barnstorming pop single that might just be the best Selly Oak's music scene has produced in a long time

DAME have always threatened to produce pop music. Their biggest single to date, 2016's 'Runaway', had all the hook-laden promise and seemed only a synthesizer away from success. Two years later, with a revamped lineup and a fresh aesthetic, the band are undoubtedly on a mission to produce something special. The good news is, within the first few seconds of this latest single you suspect that they may just have done it.

Superb songwriting marrying the glitzy production in a wonderful, confetti-filled ceremony

'Habit' bursts into life with a synth-vocal squall lifted straight from the Dua Lipa school of pop licks (which, considering the Londoner headlines the 16,000 capacity Genting Arena on Tuesday, can hardly be a bad thing), instantly supplying a taste of chewy chords and reverb-soaked arpeggios before the first verse slows things down, frontwoman and verified BNOC Shannon Farmer singing atop a pillowy backdrop of subdued keyboards. 'This time no-one's watching', she promises, before the already-stuck-in-your-head earworm of a chorus hook breaks through the mix and leads the song into a subtle drop as akin to the stage of the Indie Lounge as it is to the clubs of Broad Street. The song continues in a similar vein, flitting between whispering late-night verses and huge dancefloor choruses, throwing in a sex-drenched breakdown led by a toffeeish bassline that squeezes into your eardrums with irresistible potency.

This is a great song. It is certainly the best material that Farmer and co. have produced thus far in their lifespan, superb songwriting marrying the glitzy production in a wonderful, confetti-filled ceremony; a pop masterclass that should by every measure be considered the moment that DAME, and perhaps the university's music scene as a whole, truly came to life.

'Habit' is available to stream online now.

I like music and writing. You can see why I'm here. (@thomdent)

Adriana Vasile / New Street Records