Single Review: Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé - Perfect Duet | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé – Perfect Duet

Is Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé's 'Perfect Duet' a perfect duet? Comment Editor Kat Smith doesn't think so

With multiple songs in the charts in terms of his own singles as well as features on other tracks, it seems that everything Ed Sheeran touches turns to gold. For the most part, this success is well-earned and I will always be one of the first to rave about his latest numerically-named album. However, despite clever lyrics and genuine emotion certainly being part of Sheeran’s wholesome brand, his latest effort alongside Beyoncé is underwhelming.

It’s so formulaic that you don’t even know which version you are listening to until you do or don’t hear a female voice singing the second verse
When first listening to Sheeran’s ÷ back in March, ‘Perfect’ was never a stand-out track. The likes of ‘Dive’ and ‘New Man’ were the ones I kept coming back to, alongside the far more memorable singles ‘Galway Girl’ and ‘Shape of You’. I was surprised when it was released as a single. However, despite it being a weaker song on an overall very strong album by a ridiculously clever artist, it’s a nice song. But it’s just that… nice. It’s a pretty love song similar to many before it, lacking something special. It was similar enough to various other Sheeran songs for my mum to think Radio 1 were doing a throwback playlist. Ouch.

Beyoncé’s presence on the duet version of ‘Perfect’ (creatively named ‘Perfect Duet’) does little to elevate the song. It’s so formulaic that you don’t even know which version you are listening to until you do or don’t hear a female voice singing the second verse. She then just follows exactly what Sheeran sang in the original with them both then singing together predictable harmony to finish.  I can’t help but feel that ‘Hearts Don’t Break Around Here’ would have been a more emotive duet, but perhaps it isn’t as chart-friendly as the simplistic ‘Perfect’.

They both sound beautiful on the track, even if they do sound painfully disinterested
It must be said that vocally, they both sound beautiful on the track, even if they do sound painfully disinterested. Their effortless ability to sound perfect, no pun intended, is undeniable. Yet, it’s somewhat humbling to see that a duet with one of the biggest popstars fails to be as enchanting as Sheeran’s earliest collaborations on EPs like Songs I Wrote With Amy.

I am a huge fan of Ed but I can’t help that ‘Perfect Duet’ was a lazy attempt to get yet another chart hit under his belt. Hopefully this is an anomaly in Sheeran’s otherwise brilliant discography, and π (or whatever he chooses to call his next album) is an improvement on this disappointing duet.

Tickets for Ed Sheeran's 2018 UK Tour are available here.

Opinionated second-year Philosophy student and houmous enthusiast. (@katlouiise)

Billboard