Single Review: First Aid Kit - Fireworks | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: First Aid Kit – Fireworks

First Aid Kit's latest single is a bittersweet folk odyssey, Music Critic Laura Mosley reviews

Borrowing from classic 50’s ballads, this song is so emotionally-charged that it feels like it could be in the credits scene for any vintage movie
If there’s one thing that Swedish folk duo First Aid Kit can promise, then it’s a harmonious comfort blanket complete with soft, melodic vocals and a string selection that guarantees a gratifying listening experience. ‘Fireworks’, the third single off the band’s upcoming album release Ruins doesn’t stray far from the sisters’ folk formula, yet it has a self-reflective edge. The song opens with a dreamy sequence with sombre vocals, echoing a tone of longing.

A sense of yearning can be heard through the lyric “Why do I do this to myself / Every time I know the way it ends?”. Borrowing from classic 50’s ballads, this song is so emotionally-charged that it feels like it could be in the credits scene for any vintage movie. Its nostalgic tinge lusts for hope - fireworks are a symbol of light and spirit but their image is fleeting, conveying the bittersweet nature of life and love and the loneliness it can leave you with.

'Ruins' is scheduled for release on January 19th 2018. First Aid Kit will tour the UK in February 2018, tickets are available here.

My News Desk