Single Review: Iggy Azalea - Saviour | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Iggy Azalea – Saviour

Redbrick's Suraj Hallan debates whether Iggy Azalea's new single could be the ‘Saviour’ to her declining music career 

After unparalleled success with her break-out hit, ‘Fancy’, multiple records on the Billboard Hot 100 broken, and collaborations with every pop princess from Ariana Grande to Britney Spears, it seemed Azalea was on top of the world. She was the hottest music act in the business, a history maker, and living proof of the rags-to-riches success story. However, after this high came the low. She was deemed a ‘sell out’ due over exposure, after invading almost every aspect of music, business and fashion. In 2015, a chain of controversial tweets, suffering of huge backlash from fellow rappers like Nicki Minaj, Snoop Dogg, Macklemore and Eminem, began to surface. Azalea was also accused of cultural appropriation. 

Iggy suffered several deadly blows to her reputation, and her career began to dwindle, ending her short but powerful reign over the music industry

This resulted in deadly blows to her reputation, and her career began to dwindle, ending her short but powerful reign over the music industry. She was the once young, new, promising face of music, but now was declining in appeal. She fell from the top as quickly as she got there, with follow-up singles, ‘Team’, ‘Mo Bounce’ and ‘Switch’ all failing to make an impact, which led to her record label refusing to release her long awaited sophomore album, Digital Distortion, a project which has now been scrapped. 

After one scrapped sophomore album already, ‘Saviour’ is the lead single from the revised upcoming release, Surviving The Summer

Nevertheless, Azalea is unwilling to be discouraged, and has now released her latest single ‘Saviour’ featuring Quavo, which now serves as the lead single from her long-awaited second album, now entitled Surviving the Summer. The opening of ‘Saviour’ already grips the listener’s attention with the steel pans and Caribbean sounds. The song has a very relaxed and chilled sound in the verses. The chorus, however, incorporates steel pans and electro beats together, which picks up the pace of the song. ‘Saviour’ also has a very summery sound which would fit in well on long summer drives. I do, however, think this song is very safe, it talks of the clichéd theme of love and uses standard sounds typically associated with modern pop and rap music. That said, this fits ‘Saviour’ in well with music that is currently experiencing commercial success. 

I have a feeling the track will be unable to make much of a chart impact, with a song as safe as ‘Saviour’ unlikely to repeat her past successes

Azalea talks of ‘looking for a saviour’ in the context of looking for a love interest. This could be interpreted as a metaphor for her lack of another hit song for the past three years, she may be ‘looking for a saviour’ single to repair her career. ‘Saviour’ is a positive song, it tells a meaningful story and will resonate with listeners. However, I have a feeling the song will be unable to make much of a chart impact. This is because Azalea’s career and reputation has been damaged so much that a song as safe as ‘Saviour’ will be unlikely to repeat her past successes. Nevertheless, ‘Saviour’ is a great song and has the ability to do well. Only time will tell if Azalea can regain the dominance she had in 2014.