Single Review: King Krule - Dum Surfer | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: King Krule – Dum Surfer

King Krule impresses Sarah Solanke with another dark and intriguing cut from upcoming record The Ooz

Archy Marshall has for a while exuded a unique darkness, which soon became part of the identity of the King Krule we know.

Following 2013’s 6 Feet Beneath the Moon, he returns with a second addition to the mysterious forthcoming album, The Ooz. King Krule and his band present an eerie Bossa-Nova flared single, titled ‘Dum Surfer’.

Accompanying the song is a lo-fi style video directed by Brother Willis, taking place amid a smoky jazz underground setting; while the zombied-out band perform under the eyes of spooky onlookers.

The lyrics evoke dark and violent imagery, ranging from mashed brains to crashing trains

The delightfully disorienting song exists without a filter. The lyrics evoke dark and violent imagery, ranging from mashed brains to crashing trains. The rusty-blues vocals have elements of 80’s post-punk influences, seen in the low-voice commentary is mildly reminiscent of The Specials' ‘Ghost Town’, while the mellowing transitions and solos in the song add to the spookiness. Everything going on here paints a picture of a youthful inner conflict.

Despite the melodic chaos that is depicted in this single, the signature rough jazz sound we know King Krule for adds more life to this song. Combined with the video, ‘Dum Surfer’ is in perfect timing in the run-up to Halloween and is one to listen to.

'Dum Surfer' is available to stream online now. The Ooz is released on October 13th via XL Recordings and True Panther Sounds

spawnbleed