Single Review: Kygo & Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Kygo & Selena Gomez – It Ain’t Me

Hal Keelin is unimpressed by this unoriginal tropical house track from Kygo and Selena Gomez

Despite the past successes Norwegian dance producer Kygo has enjoyed in recent years, his self-styled tropical house falls somewhat short in his newest project with actor-turned-popstar Selena Gomez. With the bright and colourful aspects of his Marvin Gaye’s ‘Sexual Healing’ and Ed Sheeran’s ‘I See Fire’ seemingly dumbed down, it’s almost as if the industry has blended the production into abject mediocrity. It is unimpressive and uninspiring.

Although the overriding theme of the track is particularly thought provoking - it explores how a dysfunctional relationship becomes ruined by alcohol - it’s difficult to have any empathy for the vocalist. Especially when the answers to questions such as, ‘Who’s gonna walk you through the dark side of the morning? / Who’s gonna rock you when the sun won’t let you sleep? / Who’s waking up to drive you home when you’re drunk and all alone?' are answered with a repeated chorus of 'it ain’t me'. The song doesn’t seem to go anywhere or make any attempt to step out of pop’s comfort zone. Not only is Gomez’s limited vocal scope made plainly obvious, but so too are the fall points of Kygo’s tropical house made evident too. With repetitive vocals and a starkly unoriginal melody the song wanders into an ever-expanding pop abyss.

Although I have little doubt this track will have some degree of chart success - with such unoriginality this is a given - it won’t be remembered for long, and the actor-turned-singer’s struggle to cement her status as a credible pop-star continues.

Your EDM