Single Review: Morrissey - Spent the Day in Bed | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Morrissey – Spent the Day in Bed

Morrissey's new single is predictable and obvious, yet fun, reviews David Evans

Over his long career of 11 solo studio albums, former Smiths frontman Morrissey has always been overtly outspoken and controversial. Not one to shy away from voicing his opinions, ‘Spent the Day in Bed’, the lead single off the upcoming release Low in High school, holds a berating attack on the media.

Instrumentally the song is a departure from old ways; driven by a plucky, upbeat keyboard riff, the single feels fresh in comparison to the huge discography that precedes it
Instrumentally the song is a departure from old ways; driven by a plucky, upbeat keyboard riff, the single feels fresh in comparison to the huge discography that precedes it. Lyrically however, the song is so Morrissey that it could be satire. The chorus, ’Stop watching the news! / Because the news contrives to frighten you / To make you feel small and alone / To make you feel that your mind isn't your own”, is old territory for Moz and fits the moaning stereotype- previous songs such as ‘Teenage Dad on His Estate’ have covered virtually the same subject.

Still for fans this won’t be a problem, with such a backlog of content behind his name, Moz doesn’t need to be nuanced or subtle anymore. ‘Spent the Day in Bed’ sets the tone of what looks to be a loud and unapologetic album. Ironically though, Morrissey has just kicked of a record with a single about doing nothing.

'Spent the Day in Bed' is available to stream now. Low in High School will be released on 17th November via BMG.

First year Political Science & International Relations student at UoB. (@dwrevans)

Flickr