Single Review: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Holy Mountain | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds – Holy Mountain

Louisa Bebb says that ‘Holy Mountain’ marks the beginning of a new, better era for Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds

Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds are back on my radio, and I couldn’t be happier. ‘Holy Mountain’ is the first single to be released from the upcoming album Who Built the Moon?, a record which Gallagher has been working on for two years now with producer David Holmes. If the rest of the album is half as good as ‘Holy Mountain’, I think we’re in for a real treat. 

It took me approximately three seconds to know I was going to love this song; if the rest of the album is half as good as ‘Holy Mountain’, I think we’re in for a real treat

It took me approximately three seconds to know I was going to love this song. There’s no messing about, the track kicks off in a spectacular fashion pretty much instantly and by the time the vocals start, your foot’s already tapping. Now, this isn’t a review of Liam Gallagher’s As You Were, but what with the release of this single falling a mere three days after that of his brother’s album (coincidence?), it feels wrong not to compare the two. And honestly, I think this is so much better. It’s new, it’s fun and it’s exciting, whereas when I listened to As You Were I felt like I’d heard it all before.

The sound is closer to something by The Libertines than Oasis. The chorus brings with it a flute riff that I’ve been whistling on my way to lectures for days now. It’s repetitive, catchy and generally pretty brilliant. Gallagher himself has described the track as ‘one of my favourite pieces of music that I’ve ever written’. It’s marked the start of a new era for the High Flying Birds, and serves as a very exciting preview of what’s to come. 

'Holy Mountain' is available to stream online now. Who Built The Moon? is released on November 24th via Caroline International. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds play Birmingham on May 1st - tickets for their tour can be found here.

21st October 2017 at 12:00 pm

23rd October 2017 at 2:20 pm