Single Review: Paloma Faith - Guilty | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Paloma Faith – Guilty

Music Critic Tasha Burden reviews Paloma Faith's surprisingly political latest single

Paloma Faith released the second single from her forthcoming album The Architect on the 26 October. It follows the release of her single ‘Crybaby’, which was a definite departure from our expectations of Paloma Faith. She took a long break after her third album, A Perfect Contradiction, and has since had a baby. This break has certainly created a different vibe to her music, and she shows her ability to pointedly write about something other than love. 

This single, ‘Guilty’ was written post-Brexit, and certainly with a post-Brexit audience in mind. She uses the perspective of the regretful leave voters, saying in an Instagram post that ‘I was imagining what it must feel like to have voted for that and then feeling like you made a mistake because of the realisation that the repercussions could be potentially damaging’. 

‘Guilty’ is a definite departure from our expectations of Paloma Faith, written post-Brexit, and certainly with a post-Brexit audience in mind

The song is also the second in a series of Architect music videos directed by Thomas James. It serves as a sequel to ‘Crybaby’, and continues along the dystopian theme of its predecessor. The song doesn’t tie itself to the video series in such a direct or powerful way as ‘Crybaby’, but it is still an effective way of tying together the release of her singles. 

The themes of the song are certainly more generalisable than its predecessor, and I would argue that it doesn’t completely avoid being about love: ‘The one thing I’m good at is messing up somebody else / Baby, I’m guilty / Of turning sweet love into poison’, although this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Faith’s sound has certainly progressed from her first album, although ‘Guilty’, whilst interesting, and showing the maturity of Faith of an artist, has yet to reach the dizzying heights of her previous hits, which, for me at least, benefit from a certain degree of nostalgia. However, I look forward to the release of her new album, The Architect, on 17 November, and think that it will sit well amongst her repertoire of songs that you can listen to over and over again.

2nd year english literature student just trying to spell words properly. @tasha_burden (@tasha_burden)