Single Review: Sigrid - Strangers | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Sigrid – Strangers

Norwegian singer/songwriter Sigrid, is well on her way to pop domination with her latest single, reviews Niamh Brennan

Following Sigrid’s critically acclaimed debut EP, Don’t Kill My Vibe, and appearances at festivals all over the world through out the summer, the young musician had a lot to live up to in her new single ‘Strangers’. From starting the year virtually unheard of, her new released firmly plants her as one of the strongest voices of pop in 2017. 

‘Strangers’ describes the emotion surrounding the falsity of love in a generation dominated by overly optimistic views of love, driven by TV and movies – a love that doesn’t exist, and identifies the reality of love and the harsh emotions that surround it. While the catchy chorus repeats ‘Ee’re falling head over heels / for something that ain’t real’, the verses are reminiscent of a powerful ballad: ‘Left us lonely shadows / Holding each other tight and we fall’, recognising the minute sensory details in a weak relationship. 

‘Strangers’ describes the emotion surrounding the falsity of love in a generation dominated by overly optimistic views of love

In true Sigrid style, the deep and powerful lyrics are juxtaposed against the up-tempo synth-led track. The song opens with Sigrid’s delicate vocals, a light, airy tone reflective of the delicate subject matter, but with the ‘broken’, ‘falling’ and ‘colliding’ persona sounding far from the wholesome and magical opening. The catchy EDM chorus packs a powerful punch after the light verses. Appearing to be influenced by the likes of Lorde, it embraces the sadness of the lyrics and, in the words of Sigrid herself ‘makes you want to cry and dance at the same time’. 

It embraces the sadness of the lyrics and, in the words of Sigrid herself ‘makes you want to cry and dance at the same time’

Whereas previously Sigrid’s strength previously lay in her choruses, this song is clearly led by the mystical-sounding verses and the fast-paced bridge. The chorus is reminiscent of the style of popular songs released throughout the year, and doesn’t seem to carry that same uniqueness that was so obvious from the first moment of Don’t Kill My Vibe, and remained throughout. Having said that, the contrast of powerful, sad lyrics and the euphoric backing track leaves it by no means forgettable. Indeed, in ‘Strangers’ Sigrid successfully keeps hold of her 2017 pop crown, and I’m excited to see what else we get from her in the months to come.

22nd November 2017 at 9:00 am