Single Review: Tame Impala - Taxi's Here | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Tame Impala – Taxi’s Here

With the release of 2015 Currents' B-sides and remixes, Felix Page weighs up the worthiness of the new material

The announcement, in October, that Tame Impala would be releasing an extended version of the landmark 2015 album Currents, resplendent with previously-unheard B-Sides and remixes, was met with cautious anticipation and a dusting-off of Kevin Parker shrines in every student house across the land.

‘Taxi’s Here’, a synth-heavy emblem of Parker’s use of Currents as a demonstration of the new direction he would be taking his music in, following earlier psych-rock efforts, is almost comedic in its lyrical anti-climactic nature: ‘Push the button and start counting down’ instructs Parker, conjuring images of being in control of a nuclear weapon, of a life-changing event being initiated with one simple action. ‘I can face the unknown / Yes I must / Venture there’ he concludes, evidently having resolved an internal debate regarding his next step. 

Taking sole control of the composition of Currents, Parker has created a sound that could easily be mistaken for that of a 10-member-strong band

The lyrical bias towards self-doubt and loss of control is juxtaposed by Parker’s mixing capabilities. Gradually layering drums, bass and 80s-style effects as the song builds, ‘Taxi’s Here’ shows off his confidence in his own writing abilities. Taking sole control of the composition of Currents, Parker has created a sound that could easily be mistaken for that of a 10-member-strong band. In fact, the effect of this construction is overriding throughout the whole song. The sense of self-contemplation and a growing sense of danger builds and develops. Parker begins to conclude with ‘There’s so much left unclear / But it’s time’, and the listener grows increasingly concerned as to what he might do. What button did he press at the beginning? Then you hear a diesel engine rumble to a stop. A door slams. You slowly remember the name of the song, and Parker closes his ballad with the remark that, at long last…his taxi’s here.

I listen to songs and sometimes wear a funny hat around the house.