Single Review: Taylor Swift - Call It What You Want | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Taylor Swift – Call It What You Want

Ahead of the release of Reputation, Kat Smith searches for a glimmer of the old Taylor in her latest single

Since the release of three songs from Swift’s upcoming album Reputation, I had been hoping for a glimmer of the old Taylor that apparently, as we all have been told, is ‘dead’. ‘Call It What You Want’, the fourth release, sees elements of the deceased artist resurrected. However, it is not to the extent I was hoping for.

It is a refreshing change - alongside the lack of dubstep that ruined the potential of ‘…Ready for It?’, the song focuses on a familiar subject matter. Instead of being about owning her media portrayal, it focuses on a topic more stereotypical of Swift’s brand: love.

The old Taylor Swift does not seem to be as buried as deep as she made us believe in ‘Look What You Made Me Do’. In ‘Call It What You Want, Swift’s lyrics echo past songs in their content, cleverness and detail. It has me hoping that ‘LWYMMD’ was an anomaly to Taylor’s vulnerability and honesty, merely released for the shock-factor.

‘Call It What You Want’ is warmly reminiscent of past Taylor Swift releases and fills me with a little bit of hope for her forthcoming Reputation album
But despite my joy at getting a glimpse of the Swift I grew up with, her latest single is not going to be, or at least shouldn’t be, a number one. Melodically, it lacks the strength of past singles such as ‘Blank Space’ or ‘You Belong With Me’. It offers little variation between the choruses and the verses and is yet to get stuck in my head. The lyrics are far from masterful at times, with ‘I want to wear his initial on a chain round my neck / Not because he owns me / But ‘cause he really knows me’ being a poor attempt for such an experienced and clever songwriter.

Overall, I was scared that, in spite of Swift emphasising her lack of care for her reputation, she had changed her style to disguise herself in the mass of pop artists. I would even say ‘Gorgeous’ was difficult to listen to.

However, ‘Call It What You Want’ is warmly reminiscent of past Taylor Swift releases and fills me with a little bit of hope for her forthcoming Reputation album.

'Reputation' will be released on 10th November via Big Machine Records.

Opinionated second-year Philosophy student and houmous enthusiast. (@katlouiise)

Rolling Stone