Single Review: Taylor Swift - ...Ready For It? | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Taylor Swift – …Ready For It?

Taylor Swift's latest single from her upcoming album is the most promising so far, reviews Redbrick's Suraj Hallan

In 2014, Taylor Swift released her now legendary fifth studio album, 1989. The record was a global success and won the highly prestigious ‘Album of the Year’ award at the 2016 Grammys, making her the first female artist to win this award twice. It seemed Swift was on top of the world! However, troubles began to brew; very public feuds with Katy Perry, Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, Nicki Minaj and ex-boyfriend Calvin Harris, meant Swift vanished from showbiz. 

very public feuds with Katy Perry, Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, Nicki Minaj and ex-boyfriend Calvin Harris, meant Swift vanished from showbiz

However, in mid-2017, Swift surprised the world and announced a brand new album entitled Reputation and new single ‘Look What You Made Me Do’. ‘LWYMMD’ was an obvious dig at the stars she is feuding with, it saw Swift emerge from the ashes of her dead reputation and rise into a sassy and powerful new Taylor, and, based on the song’s success, she is a force to be reckoned with, as it ended the 16-week reign of Louis Fonsi’s and Daddy Yanke’s ‘Despacito’ being at number one. 

Her newest offering, ‘…Ready For It’, echoes the same feeling as ‘LWYMMD’, but also takes us back to the old Taylor who is apparently ‘dead.’ Is she really? Within the first seconds of listening to ‘…Ready For It’, it becomes obvious that we are again hearing a ‘LWYMMD’-style Taylor; the beat is heavy and ready to pack some punch. Then comes Swift rapping, already the listener is infatuated by this hard-core Taylor, and it bears some similarity to her previous single, with the tones of anger and feistiness. 

Within the first seconds of listening to ‘…Ready For It’, it becomes obvious that we are again hearing a ‘LWYMMD’-style Taylor; the beat is heavy and ready to pack some punch

After the haunting intro and pre-chorus, the song transitions from this super-heavy sound into a very enjoyable chorus, which is pleasing to the ear with its stunning sound and soft vocals. This transition is highly impressive, it’s almost as if two songs have been merged together, creating a multi-genre masterpiece. The chorus is the best part of the song and almost takes us back to the 1989-era Taylor, bearing some resemblance to her 2015 hit, ‘Wildest Dreams’.

After the chorus, the song returns to its drops and hip-hop feel. The lyrics of the song describe a relationship between Swift and a criminal who is referred to as both ‘a killer’ and ‘a robber.’ In the second verse, Swift then describes how they work together on their crimes and abscond when they ‘move to an island.’ Woah, Taylor is living life on the edge! ‘…Ready For It?’ is the best of the three singles released from Reputation so far, it’s a song which is likeable from the first time you hear it, unlike ‘LWYMMD’, which took a few listens to become enjoyable. It is also impressive that Taylor, after suffering public backlash, is emerging once again as a strong musical force, ready to conquer charts world-wide. The song does not completely disregard the old Taylor, as the chorus takes us back to her previous singles’ sounds, with its softness and poppy feel. 

The chorus is the best part of the song and almost takes us back to the 1989-era Taylor, bearing some resemblance to her 2015 hit, ‘Wildest Dreams’

The single could also be compared to something that could be heard on a Kanye West album, thanks to the hip-hop and heavy beats Swift deploys; maybe Taylor is trying to prove she can do hip-hop and beat drops better than Kanye? It is also clear from the song’s quality lyrics and likeability that Swift is winning the feud she has with Katy Perry, whose latest offering, Witness, failed to yield a hit single or make a lasting impression on the charts. Go Taylor! 

Maybe Taylor is trying to prove she can do hip-hop and beat drops better than Kanye?

Nonetheless, it is obvious that Taylor Swift is well on her way to releasing an album which will sit perfectly as one of the most iconic albums of our generation, and it’s almost guaranteed Reputation will go to number one. ‘…Ready For It?’ is a great follow-on from ‘LWYMMD’ and marks a new direction for Taylor. She has shown her new sassy side with gangster rap, but also maintained her pop authenticity, with the chorus of much more resembling the old Taylor. It also allows her to overcome the criticism and sow the seeds for her road to repairing her reputation.