Single Review: Tom Misch - Movie | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Tom Misch – Movie

Music writer Rhi Storer checks out the first single from Tom Misch's long-awaited debut album

The most thrilling aspect of being a music critic isn’t the access to unreleased music or the occasional free concert ticket. It’s following an under-the-radar talent and watching them go from strength to strength. And that’s exactly what Tom Misch is doing with his new track “Movie”.

The kind of song that you listen to in a dimly-lit room with a particular drink in hand and some incense burning in the background
Haven’t heard of Tom Misch? You should. He's a 22 year old multi-talented musician and beatmaker, playing a wide variety of instruments and often flexing his vocal muscles too. He’s on the cusp of breaking the underground and entering the mainstream with his infectious beats that take inspiration from neo-soul, jazz, funk and hip-hop. And the evidence is there. His upcoming tour Geography in March 2018 has already sold out in London - an extra date was added due to a surge in demand to see the bedroom producer. Not bad for a guy that hasn’t released an album - instead teasing fans with mixtapes here and there on streaming platforms.

So what about “Movie”? It’s still the same formula as many of his records with an evocative “boom bap” beat. Of course that’s never a bad thing, if you can pull it off. And Tom Misch pulls it off again and again with this feel-good track. But unlike his disco-tinged banger 'South Of The River', 'Movie' is more of a low key jammer. The kind of song that you listen to in a dimly-lit room with a particular drink in hand and some incense burning in the background.

It contrasts well to the technicolour sounds of this track, including Tom’s trademark guitar inflections and a gorgeous bass riff that makes this track super-chilled and easy to listen to
What I thought was a typical nostalgic sample (widely popular in beat-orientated hip-hop) at the beginning of the track actually turned out to be Tom’s own sister, Polly Misch, who contributes backing vocals throughout the song. The oceanic white noise and her black-and-white, velvet-wrapped voice are a lovely surprise. It contrasts well to the technicolour sounds of this track, including Tom’s trademark guitar inflections and a gorgeous bass riff that makes this track super-chilled and easy to listen to.

The lyrics capture a zeitgeist of our time: modern heart-ache. 'Too much time on my phone / Baby do you still sleep alone / Come back to me, come back to me', are so relatable for our generation in which our phones constitute the most detached, impersonal form of interaction. This song is a beautiful piece of art showcasing Tom’s musical maturity and story-telling abilities.

In fact, this whole song wouldn’t be too far off the mark in a D’Angelo album. If D’Angelo’s song 'Untitled (How Does It Feel)' is the call, then 'Movie' is the response only 17 years too late.

'Geography', the debut album from Tom Misch, will arrive April 6th 2017. Tom Misch will tour the UK in March 2018, tickets are available here

final year political science student

The B-Side