Single Review: The Vaccines - I Can't Quit | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: The Vaccines – I Can’t Quit

Pablo Doyle reviews an infectious and simplistic return from The Vaccines, that marks something of a return to their earlier work

The Vaccines help us kick off 2018 in style with ‘I Can’t Quit’ - the first single from their upcoming album Combat Sports.

‘I Can’t Quit’ encompasses everything you would expect from a Vaccines single. It’s high energy, chanty, and talks about sex and love. Obviously, it’s less than 3 minutes long as well. The band are well known for their extremely short but punchy tracks, and this new single gives a glimmer hope that the new album will tread in the territory of their outstanding debut record What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?.

The song is simple and alternates between the same 2 chords for both the verse and the chorus. Bands often tend to increase the complexity of their songs as the years go on, but it’s this lack of complexity and the way Justin Young and co continue to unashamedly embrace pop-rock which makes ‘I Can’t Quit’ so welcoming.

It’s not the best thing the band has ever released, but it certainly still resonates The Vaccines we all cherish... and you can’t go wrong with that. The song will translate well live so it’s definitely one to watch out for in the upcoming tour later on this year.

'I Can't Quit' is available to stream online now. Combat Sports is released on March 30th through Colombia Recordings. The Vaccines play Birmingham on April 7th - tickets are available here.