Spotlight On: JAWS | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Spotlight On: JAWS

Redbrick's Laura Mosley turns our attention to up-and-coming local indie band, JAWS

JAWS have stormed through Birmingham’s music scene, leaving a mixture of synth, hazy vocals and a dedicated fanbase in their wake. Beginning their story with 2013’s EP, Milkshake, the band have evolved from a small-time quartet making surf-pop melodies even your mum would want to dance to to an established trio with two albums behind them and a more developed sound. 

It’d be easy to categorise JAWS into a pre-packaged indie box, complete with some moody guitar and angsty vocals, but there’s something different about JAWS

Having toured with fellow Birmingham locals Peace and Swim Deep, it’d be easy to categorise JAWS into a pre-packaged indie box, complete with some moody guitar and angsty vocals. But there’s something different about JAWS, whether it be singer Connor Schofield’s relaxed, stripped-back vocals or the fuzzy guitar that makes you feel warm inside; their music seems right in any situation, whether that be a lonely winter walk home from university or a large gathering with friends. 

‘Gold’ is where it began for me, packed with so much energy that I could feel a tumult of sound oozing along its edges. ‘Right in Front of Me’ packs a more sombre, smooth melody, with lyrics lusting for something the singer can’t find. Every chord seems perfectly constructed in order for the band to show you their own personal dreams, anxieties and ambitions, creating a vision through the sound each instrument makes that you can’t help but indulge in. 

Their music seems right in any situation, whether that be a lonely winter walk home from university or a large gathering with friends

JAWS are a band of contradictions, with lyrics fuelled by anxiety and ecstasy, hopes and dreams but also the consequences of when these fall short. Their synth-drenched melodies contrast against the low, lackadaisical croons of the vocals, but both work together to create music that pierces further than the ear drums. 

Although it’s only been a year, this band are constantly maturing, dipping their toes in the water of different sounds, fleshing out their musical identity

A live show of JAWS has so much energy the room could actually burst. Whilst the band are fixed on stage, static and unperturbed, the room is buzzing with energy. Last year’s December show at The Rainbow Venues was wild – the crowd merged together to revel in JAWS’ indie-infused melodies; even the quieter songs stirred a vehement reaction. And whilst JAWS haven’t released any new material in the past year, their upcoming gig at the O2 Institute on 1 December promises a little extra. Although it’s only been a year, this band are constantly maturing, dipping their toes in the water of different sounds, fleshing out their musical identity. In just four years, JAWS have gone from the new kids on the block to one of Birmingham’s most promising acts, so I can’t help but think that in the past year, the trio have hidden a little something extra up their sleeves for what’s to come.