"Nerds are back" Says Big Bang Theory Star Kunal Nayyar | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

“Nerds are back” Says Big Bang Theory Star Kunal Nayyar

On the final day of MCM London Comic Con, Melissa Rauch and Kunal Nayyar were joined by Jesse Eisenberg to talk The Big Bang Theory and Eisenberg’s latest play.

Sunday’s strangest panel at MCM London Comic Con saw two of The Big Bang Theory’s biggest stars joined by Jesse Eisenberg in a two-part panel to talk about both Eisenberg’s upcoming play, The Spoils, and The Big Bang Theory.

After a discussion of The Spoils, a play written by Eisenberg and starring both himself and Kunal Nayyar (who plays Raj on The Big Bang Theory), Melissa Rauch (who plays Bernadette) joined the panel to talk about the series. With The Big Bang Theory having been renewed for a tenth season, Nayyar talked about what it is that makes the series so successful.

Where we got it right... is that we really celebrate nerd culture, that these guys are incredibly proud of who they are...
“We’re really lucky, because it could have easily been a show that made fun of nerd culture, but I think where we got it right, and this is a real testament to the writers, is that we really celebrate nerd culture, that these guys are incredibly proud of who they are – they’re not afraid to hide their colours and what they’re like. They’re an incredible, vibrant culture of people who really celebrate the things they love. I think that’s important about our show, and I think that’s why we come to comic con, and love meeting all of you, because you really represent what I think is happening in the world, that nerds are back and we’re cool and we’re smart and we’re sexy.”

The Big Bang Theory is well-known for its array of famous guest stars, from Stephen Hawking to George Takei, so when the conversation turned to who should play Bernadette’s baby on the show, Nayyar and Rauch were quick to offer a suggestion.

“[Jesse Eisenberg] should be the baby!” Nayyar decided.

“I want to birth Jesse Eisenberg,” agreed Rauch, before Eisenberg chipped in with:

“I’ve also had that dream.”

Next season, as it stands in our contracts could be the last season of the show… but if Jesse Eisenberg comes on the show we can have season 11, 12, 13, 14…
In the first part of the panel, Nayyar and Eisenberg had discussed the possibility of Eisenberg co-starring on the show, in the sadder context of the possibility that season ten could be the last.

Nayyar told the audience: “Next season, as it stands in our contracts could be the last season of the show… but if Jesse [Eisenberg] comes on the show we can have season 11, 12, 13, 14…” he joked.

But, in all seriousness, will season ten be the final season of The Big Bang Theory?

“Look, to be completely honest… I don’t know what’s going to happen. But if were up to me, I would be happy to do the show as long as you guys wanted us on the air,” said Nayyar.

“I’d love to. We’ll see,” said Rauch.

Nayyar added: “If it were up to us, we’d do, like I said, we’d be here for you guys.”

“One hundred per cent,” agreed Rauch.

Biochemistry student and blogger. Particularly interested in science and technology, gaming and TV. (@elliempatten)

2nd June 2016 at 9:22 am

The Hollywood News