Edgbaston MP Gisela Stuart Stands Down | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Edgbaston MP Gisela Stuart Stands Down

Gisela Stuart, Edgbaston MP, has revealed that she will not be running for re-election in the upcoming snap election in June

Her surprise win in the 1997 election in the usual Conservative safe seat of Edgbaston was seen as a mark of the success of the Labour party under Tony Blair
The MP of Edgbaston for 20 years will not be continuing in her position in the Midlands. The Co-chair for the Vote Leave campaign said, ‘After 22 years of campaigning and 20 years of having had the privilege of being the MP for this diverse, forever surprising and wonderful marginal seat I know when it is time to stand down and pass on the baton,’ the Birmingham Mail reported.

Her surprise win in the 1997 election in the usual Conservative safe seat of Edgbaston was seen as a mark of the success of the Labour party under Tony Blair.

In her 20 years as MP for the constituency, Stuart has had many prominent successes. These include leading the campaign for the renovation of Birmingham New Street Station which was completed in 2015 and the campaign for a new Queen Elizabeth Hospital which opened in 2010.

In a letter to Labour members in Edgbaston Stuart wrote, ‘The news yesterday of the early General Election has come as a shock to all of us. It means that we have to take decisions now which none of us thought we’d have to take 48 hours ago.’

She continued that she had ‘done amazing things; things we never expected when I became the first ‘Labour Gain’ of the Labour 1997 landslide as well as the first ever Labour MP for Bartley Green, Edgbaston, Harborne and Quinton.’

She ended with a note of loyalty for the next Labour candidate stating that she ‘will be with them and you not just in spirit but on the campaign trail. We will fight as we always do for every Labour vote.’

'We will fight as we always do for every Labour vote’

Stuart is not the only Labour MP to be stepping down following the announcement by Theresa May for another General Election, 12 Labour MPs will be stepping down including former Home Secretary Alan Johnson and Michael Dugher, a key figure in the Gordon Brown government.

Other prominent MPs resigning include George Osborne, former chancellor who stated he was stepping down ‘for now. But I will remain active in the debate about our country’s future and on the issues I care about, like the success of the Northern Powerhouse.’

It remains to be seen what the effect of this flurry of resignations will be.

Follow our General Election Coverage up until the 8th June and make sure you register to vote to make your voice heard.

News Editor 2016-2018 // Guild Elections Editor 2017

21st April 2017 at 2:02 pm

Foreign and Commonwealth Office