Burst Water Main Closes Selly Oak’s Bristol Road | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Burst Water Main Closes Selly Oak’s Bristol Road

With traffic delays and low water pressure affecting residents and businesses in the area, Erin Santillo reports on the initial responses to the major leak

A section of Bristol Road South has been closed this morning following flooding from a water main leak close to The Goose pub. Police officers have blocked vehicles from driving through the area between the Selly Oak triangle and the A38 near Tesco, causing bus service diversions and heavy traffic on alternative routes.

The Severn Trent water services company, who are currently working to re-route supplies, have warned of a temporary loss or disruption of water flow in the B13, B14, B15, B29, and B30 postcode areas, which include Moseley, Kings Heath, Edgbaston, Selly Oak, and Bournville. Shortly after midday, Severn Trent announced that ‘all water supplies should now be back on, although some people may be experiencing low pressure’.

The Guild of Students’ President Ellie Keiller, posted on social media to state that ‘much of campus [was left] without water’ in the hours following the discovery of the leak. Furthermore, the Guild took the decision to close the building until 10.00, when full water supply was re-established following emergency repairs by Severn Trent.

In a campus notice, UoB officials explained how ‘supply to many of the buildings on campus has been restored, but it may take some time for storage tanks to fill up before full pressure is re-established’. They also highlighted that whilst some of the tap water may be discoloured, it is safe to drink. In order to have clear water, however, users are advised to run the taps until the water returns to normal.

A spokesperson for Severn Trent stated that the company ‘will work around the clock to get this pipe fixed and everything back to normal as quickly as possible’ and that they ‘apologise for any disruption this [the closing of the road] may cause’. It is expected that the repair work to the road and the water main will take approximately ten days.

1st Year BA English Language and Literature & Redbrick News Editor (@ErinSantillo)

John Wimperis