Conservative Candidate For Edgbaston Named As Caroline Squire | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Conservative Candidate For Edgbaston Named As Caroline Squire

The Conservative Party have announced that Caroline Squire will be running to become the MP for the Edgbaston constituency in June’s election

Squire is a public affairs and communications consultant, and has previously worked for the Conservatives in the House of Lords.

'I have a strong family legacy in Birmingham and I am honoured to be chosen as the Conservative candidate for Edgbaston'

Regarding her placement as the Conservative candidate, Squire said: ‘I have a strong family legacy in Birmingham and I am honoured to be chosen as the Conservative candidate for Edgbaston as my great-great uncle was many years ago’.

‘A special thank you goes to local party members in Birmingham Edgbaston for choosing me as their candidate on Friday evening’.

‘If elected on June 8 I will work around the clock for all residents in the constituency and ensure their concerns and aspirations are heard at the highest tiers of Government’.

Squire is the great, great-granddaughter of Joseph Chamberlain, who was mayor of Birmingham in the 1870s and is known for clearing slums, building libraries, schools and swimming pools. He was also responsible for establishing the University of Birmingham in 1900 and raised funds for the university clock tower which was built in 1909.

Although once a Tory safe seat, Edgbaston is no longer secure for the Conservatives after Labour MP Gisela Stuart’s surprise win in 1997.

Edgbaston will become the constituency that has had a female MP representing the area in parliament for the longest period of time

This year, Stuart announced that she would not be re-running for her position. This, combined with the fact the polls are implying support for Labour has decreased, means that the Conservatives believe they may have an increased chance in winning the Edgbaston seat.

Since 1953, Edgbaston has been represented by a female MP. Now, as both Labour and the Conservatives have provided female candidates for the election in June, if either of them win - which is the most likely scenario - Edgbaston will become the constituency that has had a female MP representing the area in parliament for the longest period of time.

1st May 2017 at 10:00 am

Twitter