Erdington Will Be A Key Battleground During General Election | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Erdington Will Be A Key Battleground During General Election

Erdington is said to be a key Birmingham constituency leading up to the 2017 General Election on June 8th

Erdington is a working-class area a few miles north from Birmingham’s city centre and has been represented by Labour for several decades - though this could change now. The area has voted for a Labour MP in every General Election since 1945, with current MP Jack Dromey winning with a majority of 5,129 in 2015.

Meanwhile, the most recent Conservative MP victories in Erdington were John Eales, who represented the constituency in 1935, and John Wright, who won the 1936 by-election with a majority of 6,234.

However, as the election draws closer, Labour’s decades-long hold on the area could be relinquished to the Tories. Conservative Candidate and local Councillor Robert Alden will provide stiff competition as the Tories look to exploit Labour’s poor results in polls.

The Conservatives have a chance at winning Erdington as well as the other Birmingham constituencies of Edgbaston and Northfield, both of which are currently represented by Labour MPs and have been for the last twenty years.

The area has voted for a Labour MP in every General Elections since 1945, with current MP Jack Dromey winning with a majority of 5,129 in 2015

It is understood that both Labour and Conservatives view Erdington as being a key constituency in the city of Birmingham. Labour will aim to hold onto the voters that have remained loyal to the party whilst the Conservatives, who have struggled in Birmingham for two decades with only Sutton Coldfield having a Conservative MP since 1997, may see this election as a chance to win seats.

Whilst the residents of the ethnically diverse Erdington have voted Labour for several decades, the 2017 General Election will uncover whether the constituency continues to have faith in the Labour Party or whether, in what would be a somewhat surprising result, Robert Alden will persuade its residents to vote Conservative.

15th May 2017 at 10:00 am

15th May 2017 at 2:42 am

Optimist on the Run