Cambridge student awarded compensation after being dropped in nightclub | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Cambridge student awarded compensation after being dropped in nightclub

A Cambridge student has been awarded compensation after being dropped on the floor of a nightclub by a computer science student

A Cambridge student has been awarded compensation after being dropped on the floor of a nightclub by a computer science student.

In May this year Emily Farbrace, in her second year studying natural sciences at Cambridge, was allegedly picked up by an intoxicated Ben Shaw who then dropped her, resulting in crushing her pelvis. The injuries have been said to put her at a huge disadvantage with her studies and with her future career.

The pair were reported by the Daily Telegraph to have had a ‘difficult relationship’ and did know each other before the incident in May. Shaw’s behaviour was deemed ‘reckless and dangerous, aggravated further by drink’ by a court magistrate, however his remorse was also acknowledged by the court. He wrote a letter to Miss Farbrace, expressing his regret at what happened and that he was ‘devastated’.

In the same article, the Daily Telegraph has reported that Farbrace sued Shaw, however other sources say that she did not sue and that the article was misleading. According to other sources, Emily only received the compensation in which she was entitled to by law, which was allegedly £3,800, and was not present in court.

The university suspended Shaw for one year after the incident and Farbrace has returned to Cambridge after recovering at her home in Dorset. After working extremely hard to earn a place at the university, she has said that she is relieved with the outcome, as it has been a difficult year for her.