BTEC Holders Are Less Likely To Complete HE Courses | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

BTEC Holders Are Less Likely To Complete HE Courses

Greater numbers of university students who exclusively hold BTEC qualifications are failing to complete their degree, when compared to students with A level qualifications

This is according to Angus Holford, Research Fellow at the University of Essex, who has published his findings in The Guardian.

According to Holford’s research, 27% of BTEC students with BBB equivalent qualifications fail to complete their degree. In comparison, 13% of A level students who obtain BBB grades fail to complete their degree. When comparing BTEC and A level students with CCC grades and equivalent, the failure rate is 34% and 17% respectively. In terms of academic results, BTEC students at BBB level are 16% less likely to obtain a first or 2:1. At CCC level, BTEC students are 34% less likely to obtain a first or 2:1.

27% of BTEC students with BBB equivalent qualifications fail to complete their degree

These figures come as the number of students entering higher education with vocational qualifications are at their highest on record. BTEC courses differ from A levels as they are based more on practical skills such as business, sport, and applied science. BTEC qualification entry into higher education has also greatly benefited students with an ethnic minority background. Black students are three times more likely to enter higher education with BTEC qualifications when compared to white students.

To close the higher education gap, Holford recommends that universities should increase support for students with BTEC qualifications. He also suggests that university staff should be better prepared by their university’s to help BTEC students cope with new methods of learning. Additionally, Holford adds that encouragement of young people to take A levels should begin at school level.

The University of Birmingham currently offers prospective students case studies and guidance for students with or studying BTEC qualifications, which can be found online:

www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/preparing-for-university/btec