Award Winning Editor Of 'The Good Immigrant' Visits UoB | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Award Winning Editor Of ‘The Good Immigrant’ Visits UoB

Nikesh Shukla, the critically acclaimed author, screenwriter and essayist, visited the University of Birmingham’s Centre for Contemporary Literature and Culture

The event was hosted on Monday 2nd October in the marquee in Chancellor’s Court by Dr Asha Rogers from the Department for English Literature, who gave attendees an insight into Shukla’s motives for creating The Good Immigrant through a series of pre-prepared questions before opening the floor to the audience for a thought-provoking Q&A session. Shukla also read extracts from his essay, ‘Namaste’, which is featured in book and merges his comic writing style with his views on attitudes towards modern-day cultural misappropriation.

Edited by Shukla, The Good Immigrant offers a platform for twenty-one emerging British black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) voices to explore race and immigration in the twenty-first century

More than 150 students, locals and academics attended the event; more than expected, perhaps, as the chairs were filled quickly and many resorted to sitting on the floor of the marquee for the 90 minute session.

There was also time after the conclusion of the event for Shukla to take selfies and sign copies of his book, which features on the second-year English Literature module, ‘Twenty-First Century Literature’.

Edited by Shukla, The Good Immigrant offers a platform for twenty-one emerging British black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) voices to explore race and immigration in the twenty-first century. The collection of essays features contributions from journalists, educators, poets, bloggers, comedians and actors, including Nish Kumar and Riz Ahmed.

The Good Immigrant was named the winner of the Readers’ Choice Award at the first Books Are My Bag ceremony last year, and has received high praise from fellow novelists such as Zadie Smith, Malorie Blackman and J.K. Rowling. Describing the collection as ‘an important, timely read’, Rowling was also one of the main financial backers of the crowdfunded project, reportedly having donated £5,000 through the website of the publishing house, Unbound.

This was just the first of a series of events hosted by the Centre for Contemporary Literature and Culture this academic year. Shukla is expected to return to the university in January 2018.

2nd Year BA English Language and Literature & Redbrick News Editor (@ErinSantillo)

James Moore