Birmingham Announced as Host of 2022 Commonwealth Games | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Birmingham Announced as Host of 2022 Commonwealth Games

Birmingham has finally been announced as the 2022 Commonwealth Games host city after months of delay

The waiting is over as Birmingham has been officially announced as the hosts of the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

It certainly has not been a smooth road for the West Midlands city, yet preparations are already in place to set this city on the global stage. The original bid for the games was won by the South African city of Durban in 2015, however after not complying with the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) guidelines they were stripped of the event earlier this year. The first success for Birmingham came in September 2017 when it was chosen over its northern neighbour Liverpool, as England’s recommended city to host the games.

Yet there were delays when Birmingham was the only city to have bid by the deadline on the 30th September, triggering a later deadline to be put in place; cities from Australia, Canada and Malaysia showed their interest, yet Birmingham prevailed. This process has certainly been beset with problems, and despite announcing this golden moment for Birmingham, the city has many hurdles to clear before hosting in 2022.

‘heart of the UK’

The city council’s campaign was based on Birmingham being the ‘heart of the UK’, and now the fantastic city, diverse in culture and population, has the opportunity to display itself on the world stage. The Commonwealth Games will be Britain’s most expensive sporting showpiece since the London 2012 Olympics, according to BBC statistics.

Andy Street, the recently elected West Midlands Metro Mayor, stated in the Birmingham Mail, that he was thoroughly excited for this opportunity that would provide ‘the ideal showcase for our resurgent region’. With the city undergoing unprecedented levels of construction, the games will encourage not only ‘cultural benefits’ but the encouragement of a ‘sporting legacy’.

‘the ideal showcase for our resurgent region’

This echoes excitement throughout the city, bringing back the 2012 Olympic motto of 'inspiring a generation', this opportunity holds high hopes for the vision of sport in Birmingham. However Birmingham is not new to holding high-level sporting events, for it is the home of the Ashes test in Edgbaston Cricket Ground, regular athletics meetings held at Alexander Stadium, and the Aegon tennis championships take place at Edgbaston Priory Club.

Before Birmingham’s chance to host in 2022, the Commonwealth Games will be taking place next year, on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. This will be the fifth time Australia will host the games, and with under a year to go, the countdown has begun.

Alan Isherwood