The Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) released a report on sexual assault in Australian universities on the first of AugustWritten by Daniel Hickey on 20th November 2017
Birmingham is Commonwealth Candidate
Birmingham is officially the only city to have submitted a bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games after beating Liverpool for official British endorsement in September and their predicted rivals across the globe failing to submit a bid
The Chief Executive of the CGF, David Grevemberg CBE has said in a press release: ‘Bid documentation has been received from Birmingham, England and the CGF will now go through a comprehensive review and feedback process to ensure the bid meets the requirements of successfully hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games.’ With no other cities making bids for the 2022 games, this leaves Birmingham almost certain to host the games.
Kuala Lumpur (1998 hosts) and Victoria, British Columbia (1994 hosts), were both previously considering putting a bid forward for the 2022 games. Kuala Lumpur however, has opted to put its efforts into bidding for the 2026 games. Meanwhile, Victoria had failed to win the backing of the British Columbia Provincial or the Canadian Federal Government.
“'There have also been continued expressions of interest and support from Canada, Malaysia and Australia'
One of the key strengths in Birmingham’s 2022 bid was the claim that 95% of the second city’s venues are already constructed. Should Birmingham be awarded the games? Alexander Stadium will be upgraded from its current capacity of 12,700 to 40,000 in order to accommodate audiences for the games. In addition, a new aquatics centre will be planned for construction in Sandwell for hosting of the swimming and aquatic events.
The 2022 games are estimated to cost £750 million, with 75% of the bill being paid for by the government. Birmingham bid organisers and West Midlands Metro Mayor Andy Street, have both stressed that the other 25% bill will be shared by all West Midlands regions, and not just Birmingham. Street has also stated that local funding for the games is separate from funds used for local services so there should be minimal effect on council spending.
Although Birmingham is the only city to submit a bid in time for the September 30th deadline, CGF Chief Executive Grevemberg has stated: ‘there have also been continued expressions of interest and support from Canada, Malaysia and Australia.’ Despite Grevemberg’s claim of continued interest from other cities, Birmingham’s bid - in terms of funding, preparation, and enthusiasm - remains the only stable bid under consideration.