English Universities To Be Ranked Gold, Silver and Bronze | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

English Universities To Be Ranked Gold, Silver and Bronze

The Department of Education has announced plans to restructure the way that universities in England are ranked

As part of the government’s introduction of a Teaching Excellence Framework (Tef), the Department of Education in England has announced new plans for university ratings . Universities in the UK will be given either a ‘Gold’, ‘Silver’, or ‘Bronze’ rating based on a number of criteria including: graduate employment, student satisfaction and student retention levels.

Jo Johnson, Universities Minister, claims that the new ratings will provide 'clear understandable information' to help prospective students make their choices on where they want to study, however opponents argue that the specified criteria have a low focus on research quality.

new ratings will provide 'clear understandable information'

The new rankings will be published in Spring 2017, ready for those applying to university in the Autumn of the same year for 2018 entry. All universities that achieve at least a Bronze standard will be able to institute full inflationary uplifted fees up to £9,250; however, institutions who receive a Bronze ranking can still be significantly below benchmark standards in some areas, this could mean that universities lagging behind have less of a motivation to improve as they will still be able to implement higher fees.

From Year 3 the scores awarded will be use to inform differentiated fees, which could be upwards of £9,500 according to inflation forecasts. Higher education providers in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales will be able to take part in the scheme, but the ranking they receive will not impact student fees.

‘I think the new ranking system will be great for students to be able to find out which university will benefit them the most’ says student, Sophia Dilley. However it is not as popular with all students as another student Tom Dixon told Redbrick, ‘I think that it will end up putting people off applying for the better universities as the fees will become so prohibitive’.

Liberal Democrat leader, Tim Farron said: 'For the government to continue to let fees creep up year on year, so students are unable to get a clear picture of the debt they may face, is unacceptable'. University of Birmingham students admitted between the 2012/2013 and 2016/2017 academic years will not face a fee increase.

History Undergrad

James Moore