First Staff Member Appointed At UoB Dubai | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

First Staff Member Appointed At UoB Dubai

The University of Birmingham’s new campus in Dubai is preparing to begin operations in December after announcing Chris Taylor as the Senior Recruitment and Engagement Manager this week

Taylor has over 16 years’ experience in student recruitment and marketing, previously being employed by the University of Worcester as the Acting Head of International Recruitment. He has worked at UoB since 2015 in his role as Regional Manager of the Middle East, driving student recruitment from the area to the Edgbaston campus. In his new role, however, he will be based in Dubai attempting to raise the profile of the university’s new venture in order to increase the student intake at the United Arab Emirates (UAE) campus.

Alaric Campbell-Rae, the Director of Student Recruitment, has said, ‘We’re delighted to have Chris on the ground to spearhead student recruitment for University of Birmingham Dubai. He has a wealth of experience in counselling students from the region, helping hundreds of young people to make key decisions about their academic futures.

Campbell-Rae: 'We’re delighted to have Chris on the ground to spearhead student recruitment for University of Birmingham Dubai'

‘Chris has already developed strong relationships with partners in the UAE which will, undoubtedly, benefit University of Birmingham Dubai as we deliver a range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in this rapidly developing international education hub’.

UoB is the first of the global top 100 higher education institutions and first member of the Russell Group to open a campus in Dubai, the UAE’s largest city. The site will be located within the Dubai International Academic City alongside 25 other universities, and aims to expand the university’s teaching activities in the Middle East. It is hoped that locating this branch of UoB close to Asia will also help to further international research collaborations with leading institutions in Singapore and China.

The first phase of the Dubai campus will open in December this year, preparing for the intake of undergraduate and postgraduate students in September 2018. Degrees from the site will be taught, examined and accredited to the same standards as those at the Edgbaston campus, and will include Business, Economics, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, and Primary and Secondary Teacher Education, with scope to expand to include further programmes in the future.

The Vice-Chancellor of UoB, Professor Sir David Eastwood, has commented on the venture, stating: ‘For more than a century, we have been welcoming international students to our campus in Birmingham and for the last 20 years have been providing opportunities for students to study on University of Birmingham degree programmes at partner institutions, including in China and Singapore.

Eastwood: 'Opening a campus in Dubai is the next step in our global mission and demonstrates our ambition as an outward looking, world-class institution'

‘We have strategic partnerships in the USA, Australia, China, and Brazil and active research collaborations across the world. Opening a campus in Dubai is the next step in our global mission and demonstrates our ambition as an outward looking, world-class institution’.

Mohammad Abdullah, the Managing Director of the Dubai International Academic City, mirrored Eastwood’s excitement about the new campus, adding: ‘As Dubai International Academic City celebrates a decade of excellence, we are honoured to welcome one of the world’s top 100 universities, University of Birmingham, to our vibrant and diverse higher education community.

‘University of Birmingham’s commitment to knowledge transfer through cutting-edge research makes it an ideal partner of choice, contributing to the enhancement of the UAE’s vision of creating innovative and enduring solutions that meet the demands of key sectors of development such as STEM and Education. We are excited to strengthen our relationship with University of Birmingham and are confident that together, we can tap into world-class expertise and provide a truly global experience for students and faculty’.

2nd Year BA English Language and Literature & Redbrick News Editor (@ErinSantillo)

University of Birmingham