Graduate Employers Target UoB | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Graduate Employers Target UoB

The University of Birmingham (UoB) has come second place in a new league table revealing the universities who are most frequently targeted by employers in the UK.

Birmingham sits behind Manchester in the rankings, with the rest of the top five consisting of Warwick, Bristol, and UCL. Perhaps surprisingly, neither Cambridge nor Oxford made it to the top five spots on the list, with Durham just making it into the top 10.

For the 2017-2018 recruitment season, half of the country’s top employers only targeted between 10 and 25 universities - yet UoB has still managed to become the second most visited site.

The ‘Graduate Market in 2018’ report looks at which institutions have seen the highest number of employers attend recruitment fairs, presentations, and careers events.

It gives me a lot more confidence knowing that Birmingham is gaining a lot of interest from employers

The figures are compiled from graduate employers included in The Times’ ‘Top 100 Graduate Employers’ list, which is made up of companies such as the BBC, Amazon, Sky, and Google. These employers were voted for by students who responded to the question: ‘Which employer do you think offers the best opportunities for graduates?’

The research compares this data alongside rankings found in The Times & Sunday Times’ ‘Good University Guide for 2018’. Cambridge and Oxford made up the first and second places – based on a range of factors such as entry standards, teaching quality, and likely grade outcome – but Manchester, which is the most frequently visited university by employers in the UK, failed to make the top 20. UoB is placed higher than this at 15.

The report has also found that graduate employment was substantially lower in 2017 compared to 2016. This has been linked to uncertainty surrounding Brexit, which led to a 4.9% reduction in graduates being hired by employers featured in The Times’ list. This was the first drop in five years.

Despite this, students at UoB are reacting positively to the report. Sophie Magill, a second year English student, said: ‘Although recruitment figures are going down across the country, it gives me a lot more confidence knowing that Birmingham is gaining a lot of interest from employers. Clearly, there is something that is making our students stand out’.

As Eluned Jones, Director of Student Employability at UoB, states: ‘[This report] reflects our strong partnerships with a range of employers. As a University we are producing highly employable graduates so it is very gratifying to see this reflected in our ever-growing reputation with a range of top graduate recruiters’.

Second Year English. Assistant Arts Editor at The National Student. (@liam_taft_)

pixabay.com