Labour MP Steve McCabe Struck by Brick in Motorcycle Incident | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Labour MP Steve McCabe Struck by Brick in Motorcycle Incident

Labour MP for Selly Oak Steve McCabe received facial injuries in what he describes as an untargeted attack

On Monday 31st July, Labour MP for Selly Oak, Steve McCabe, sustained facial injuries after a passing motorcyclist struck him with a brick. Speaking to BBC West Midlands (BBC WM), McCabe explained how he was about to start door knocking in the Kings Heath area when two motorcyclists approached, 'riding really recklessly, dangerously, doing wheelies in the middle of the road.' When he confronted the individuals, threatening to call the police if they continued, one of them threw a brick at him before speeding away.

Stating that he did not believe it was a targeted attack, McCabe stressed the importance of bringing those responsible to justice, saying, 'we've had umpteen complaints about this kind of dangerous behaviour. It is a big issue in south Birmingham, they are terrorising neighbourhoods. Taking to Twitter, the MP posted pictures of his injuries and the alleged suspects, and implored members of the community to come forward with any information they might have.

Since the incident, MPs from various political parties, including Angela Rayner, Jo Swinson, and Tom Tugendhat, have publicly condemned the attack, and have offered messages of sympathy and support.

West Midlands Police have confirmed that they are investigating the incident, with a spokeswoman stating that although the injuries sustained are minor, this kind of behaviour is not acceptable and the matter is being dealt with seriously.' The spokeswoman went on to state that anyone with information is asked to contact West Midlands Police on 101, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. Please quote crime number 20BW/162314L/17.

2nd August 2017 at 10:00 am

2nd August 2017 at 9:56 am