Low Paying Jobs at Risk of Automation | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Low Paying Jobs at Risk of Automation

Workers who have low paid routine jobs are at risk of being replaced by new technology referred to as Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Experts now claim the process of automation is accelerating. This might affect workers having a university degree, which is a general concern to students from UoB.

Research from Oxford University suggests there is a ‘50% chance of change of AI outperforming humans in all tasks in 45 years’. In response to the research finding, a third year Political Science student said ‘That really makes me nervous!’

While it is not known how fast the process of automation will be, it is likely that technology will replace many English workers within our lifetime. Besides low paid routine workers, students who will be employed by the financial and insurance sector, in administrative and support services or within public administration and defence are in high risk of being replaced by AI. According to research by The Guardian, 94% of paralegals and 40% of judges will be replaced with AI within 20 years.

'50% chance of change of AI outperforming humans in all tasks in 45 years’

350 academics were surveyed on when they believed the crucial turning points in robot advancement would take place. Researchers from the University of Oxford then took the average of their answers to make predictions. By 2049, robots will be able to write a bestselling book, with AI able to exceed performance of humans as surgeons just four years later.

The research adds that all human jobs could become automated within 120 years, with those who work in the driving capacity being some of the soonest to be replaced, thanks to the introduction of driverless cars.

Andrew Murray, a professor of Technology Law at the London School of Economics, said ‘An algorithmically-regulated self-driving car would theoretically be unable to speed or to breach dangerous driving laws. This means we will reduce towards zero criminal prosecutions for driving’.

‘An algorithmically-regulated self-driving car would theoretically be unable to speed or to breach dangerous driving laws'

According to Murray, Law students looking to take advantage of the introduction of AI should consider an internship with large tech companies such as Facebook or Google. ‘It shows an awareness of a developing client base’.

The impact AI will have on the workers has been addressed by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, who has suggested companies that profit from replacing humans with robots should pay more tax (known as ‘robot tax’) because of the ‘threat’ automation is to workers. Corbyn intends to use the money to create a fund to retrain workers who lose their jobs due to AI. During his speech at the Labour conference on Wednesday, Corbyn claims he will form plans to ‘manage’ robotics and technology ‘for the benefit of society as a whole’. Corbyn said: ‘We should all get the benefits’ from corporations such as Amazon which have ‘made a great deal of money out of incredible advanced technology’.

TechCrunch