New Year Honours for UoB Alumni and Academics | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

New Year Honours for UoB Alumni and Academics

Academics and Alumni of the University of Birmingham were among the 1,123 people awarded New Year Honours in 2018.

Professor James Arthur, University of Birmingham academic, has been awarded an OBE in the 2018 New Year Honours for services to character and values education.

Also included in the list are Andrew Ready, a leading surgeon and Sabrina Francis, a community leader. Mr Ready received an MBE, whilst Ms Francis was awarded the British Empire Award Medal (BEM).

James Arthur, Professor of Education and Civic Engagement, Pro-Vice Chancellor (Staffing), and Director and founder of the University’s Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues, is respected as an expert in the field of character education.

An OBE for my work in character education is also an acknowledgement of the incredible team in the Jubilee Centre

Most recently Professor Arthur played a key role in the creation of the University of Birmingham School which opened in September 2015 and previously to that he set up the Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues in 2012 in order to improve the popular understanding of the impact of character on society.

Over the course of his career, he has made many contributions to the civic life of the UK, most notably through his charitable works such as his inputs into the national policy debate surrounding the role of character in the development of children, his contributions to the educational landscape of the city of Birmingham and in his achievements as an educator and scholar.

On receiving news of his OBE he commented, ‘I am very honoured to be recognised in this New Year’s Honours List. To be awarded an OBE for my work in character education is also an acknowledgement of the incredible team in the Jubilee Centre at the University of Birmingham.’

He is also involved in think-tanks and has acted as a key consultant in Government-level debate on how character could be part of anti-radicalisation efforts in schools. He has also directed research on the theme of education, character and citizenship which examined the character development of over 75,000 young people in the UK.

He has also written more than 20 books advancing education while advising governments on education all over the world.

Andrew Ready completed his medical training at UoB and is a consultant renal transplant surgeon at University Hospital Birmingham and Birmingham Children’s Hospital, as well as Honorary Consultant Surgeon at Belfast City Hospital. He is also Medicated Director and Chairman of Transplant Links – an organisation dedicated to supporting renal transplantation in the developing world.

Sabrina Francis graduated from UoB in 2006 with a BA in Social Policy. She has received the BEM for her work strengthening the community at City, University of London through building online communities for all members of the university community. She is also a local councillor within Camden for the Bloomsbury Ward and volunteers for Crisis at Christmas, helping homeless people.

The three people have been commended by the university for their achievements.

News Editor 2016-2018 // Guild Elections Editor 2017

Szilas