Old Joe Lights Up Blue For Nightline Awareness Week | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Old Joe Lights Up Blue For Nightline Awareness Week

Monday the 20th of November marked the start of Nightline Awareness Week on the University of Birmingham’s campus, which has been promoted with Old Joe’s clock face lighting up blue

The week has aimed to raise awareness for Birmingham Nightline and promote the service it provides. The focus of this year’s awareness week has been mental wellbeing and self-care.

Nightline is an anonymous listening service run by a team of student volunteers and available to all students at UoB

Nightline is an anonymous listening service run by a team of student volunteers and available to all students at UoB. The group is available every night of term from 6pm to 8am, and are contactable via phone, email, instant messenger and drop in. These contact details can be located on the back of your UoB student ID card or on the student home tab of the my.bham portal.

Last academic year Nightline listened to 521 students who needed someone to talk to, and this year they have listened to 120 students so far. Some of the most common problems faced by those that choose to contact Nightline are low mood, coping with academic stress, and experiencing depression, hence why the focus of this awareness week is mental wellbeing and self-care.

Redbrick spoke to some of the service’s volunteers to discover why they joined: ‘University can be a scary place when you first start, when you move somewhere new and you might know absolutely no one it’s important that you have someone to talk to. For a lot of people that might not be the case that nightline is there to give people a chance to talk … without any judgement and complete anonymity.

‘For me I thought that this was such an important service and I really wanted to be a part of the team that means it can run every night of term and offer that level of support that people might not otherwise get. Now I know how useful it is to have someone willing to listen to you and give you a safe space to talk’.

Nightline ‘provides a safe place for people to speak their minds'

The volunteers also described how Nightline ‘provides a safe place for people to speak their minds.

‘If what you want to talk about is embarrassing to you then having the opportunity to talk to someone in an anonymous setting is so useful’.

Events organised by Nightline across the week included Wednesday’s ‘Let’s Talk’ spoken word night, themed around mental wellbeing and self-care. A cake sale outside the Guild Spar will also take place on Friday, offering passersby a chance to decorate a ‘tree of happiness’.

Full details about the week’s events can be found on the Birmingham Nightline social media pages.

23rd November 2017 at 9:00 am