Preet Gill Confirmed As Labour Candidate For Edgbaston | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Preet Gill Confirmed As Labour Candidate For Edgbaston

The Labour Party have named Councillor Preet Gill as their Birmingham Edgbaston candidate for the 2017 General Election

The Sandwell councillor Preet Gill will be campaigning to replace former MP Gisela Stuart, after she announced she would not run for re-election on 8th June. The parliamentary hopeful, who is also Sandwell’s Cabinet Member for Public Health and Protection, could be the first woman British Sikh MP in the Commons if she wins the marginal seat.

The seat has been represented by a female MP since Conservative Edith Pitt's by-election victory in 1953

Councillor Gill, who was born and raised in Edgbaston, said she was delighted to be selected and praised the record of Gisela Stuart: ‘[Stuart] has been a superb Labour MP for Birmingham Edgbaston for the last 20 years and I wish her all the best for the future’.

She went on to say, ‘this election is a clear choice between a Labour Party who will stand up for Birmingham Edgbaston and a Tory party who are failing working people across our great city’.

The seat has been represented by a female MP since Conservative Edith Pitt's by-election victory in 1953. This is likely to continue following the selection of Gill’s rival, Conservative candidate Caroline Squire, who hopes to retake Edgbaston from Labour for the first time since 1997.

The constituency is shaping up to be a key battleground of the 2017 General Election, as the Conservatives hope to challenge Labour’s 2015 election majority of just 2,706.

Article by David Kirkham

Preet4Edgbaston Twitter