Runaway Bull Shot Dead after Solihull Rampage | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Runaway Bull Shot Dead after Solihull Rampage

An escaped young bull was shot dead by police after running rampant into a primary school playground

‘Monk’ the runaway bull was first sighted on the loose at 7.20am scampering down Monkspath Hall Road, where officers were immediately called. There were also reported sightings at Shirley town centre and Paul Lowe Dentistry.

The bull reportedly jumped a fence into the playground Monkspath Junior and Infant School, where students were hurriedly moved to the main hall. A Solihull Council spokesman confirmed the bull had entered the school grounds but assured people 'the police were present the whole time and the children remained safely inside. At no time were any pupils or staff in danger'.

The bull evaded capture from police within the school grounds and headed towards the M42, where it was surrounded by armed police. It was then shot dead by a police marksman due to the 'increased danger to the public'.

The bull evaded capture from police within the school grounds and headed towards the M42

The decision has prompted anger from residents, many questioning why a tranquiliser could not have been used instead. One person asked, 'Why has it been shot surely a vet could have sedated it?'

Chief Inspector Kerry Blakeman, force incident manager, said: 'We made every effort this morning to try and bring this to a happy conclusion but we had to put the public first and sadly the bullock had to be shot by a police marksman'.

'Thanks to all the local residents for their understanding'.

David Stowell