Six Die in Underpass Collision Beneath Bristol Road | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Six Die in Underpass Collision Beneath Bristol Road

Six people have been killed and a seventh is said to be in critical condition after a collision in an underpass near Birmingham city centre on Saturday night

Six cars, involving a seven-seater taxi, were involved in the collision shortly after 1am on Sunday. The collision happened on the Lee Bank Middleway, where it goes under Bristol Road. Students are likely to know this as the junction next to McDonald’s, just down the road from the O2 Academy.

'There were six vehicles involved in the crash scene, which was extensive'

The taxi driver and his two passengers, a man and a woman, were killed. Another three men also died after being thrown from their car in the crash. A fourth man thrown from that car was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital where he is in critical condition.

A spokesperson from the West Midlands Ambulance service described the scene, saying, ‘There were six vehicles involved in the crash scene, which was extensive. In the first car there were a man and a woman.

‘The vehicle had suffered very extensive damage but astonishingly, despite the damage, the pair had managed to get out and had suffered relatively minor injuries. They were taken to Heartlands hospital by ambulance for further assessment.

‘The second vehicle, a black cab, was on its side. Sadly, there was nothing that could be done to save the driver and he was confirmed dead at the scene. The man and woman in the back were rapidly extricated.

‘Unfortunately, it was not possible to save the woman and she was also confirmed dead at the scene. The man was taken on blue lights to the major trauma centre at the Queen Elizabeth hospital Birmingham with the Merit trauma doctor travelling with the crew. Sadly, he died at hospital.

‘There were four men from the third car. All had been ejected. Tragically, three of them were confirmed dead at the scene. The fourth was also taken on blue lights to the major trauma centre at the Queen Elizabeth hospital Birmingham with the critical care car doctor travelling with the crew. He was said to be in a critical condition on arrival’.

'People use this road as a racetrack; it’s so dangerous'

Attending the scene were five ambulances, three paramedic teams, the hazardous area response team, and the air ambulance. Forty firelighters helped with the aftermath.

Local residents told the BBC and the Guardian that there was a racing problem on the road. Wayne Hopkins, 64, told the Guardian that ‘people use this road as a racetrack; it’s so dangerous. I can’t believe this has happened. It’s awful, especially as it’s so close to Christmas’.

West Midlands Police (WM Police) have launched an investigation into the case of the collision. Superintendent Sean Phillips called it ‘too early’ to speculate on causes and confirmed that the road had been gritted the previous evening.

WM Police have asked anyone with information to contact them on 101, quoting log 175 of 17 December.

(@john_wimperis)

Robin Stott