UoB Hosts Fulbright Event | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

UoB Hosts Fulbright Event

On January 9th, the University of Birmingham hosted the annual US-UK Fulbright Forum

The university welcomed over 50 Fulbright scholars to explore and learn about its own cultural heritage and academic achievement, as well as that of the United Kingdom at large.

This forum was also the inaugural event of the 2018 year for the ‘Fulbrighters’, which marks the 70th anniversary of the US-UK Fulbright Commission.

Those who attended the event were treated to sessions led by university faculty, as well as a visit to the Cadbury Research Library where they were able to view the Birmingham Qur'an manuscript. They toured cultural and historic institutions in and around the university, as well as also visiting Stratford-upon-Avon and the university’s Shakespeare Institute.

We love working with the University of Birmingham and have more Fulbright partner awards with them than any other university in the UK

The Fulbright Commission US-UK is a special division of the greater Fulbright scholarship that focuses on cross-cultural academia between the two countries. The organisation, as a whole, is a very competitive process that provides opportunities and exchanges between the United States and various institutions across the world.

According to their website, the US-UK Fulbright Commission was founded in 1948 to provide ‘mutual cultural understanding’ between these two countries in particular, and is funded jointly through the governments of the United States and the United Kingdom. There are a wide range of different university partnerships in both countries, but there is an emphasis placed on high-achieving and high-standing universities within the programme.

UoB is an important member of the Fulbright Commission, providing scholarships for multiple students at a postgraduate level, including Masters programmes and PhDs. There are also undergraduate summer programmes and work placements in the university through the commission. In a press release for the event, Penny Egan CBE, Executive Director of the Fulbright Commission, said, ‘We love working with the University of Birmingham and have more Fulbright partner awards with them than any other university in the UK’.

According to the Fulbright website, there have been approximately 27,000 exchanges between the United States and the United Kingdom through the programme as of the 015-2016 academic year. The programme continues to be a prestigious way to participate in an exchange, with a strong commitment to academic achievement.

UoB strives to be a global university and the Fulbright Commission is an important part of the international reach. In addition to this, students can also get involved internationally through work schemes and the university’s own study abroad programme, as well as a range of other opportunities. For more information on how to apply for Fulbright, the university encourages students to visit their website.

James Moore