UoB Rewarded for Sustainability | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

UoB Rewarded for Sustainability

The University of Birmingham was the 2017 Global Bronze Winner for Education and Training at the recent Green World Awards.

The ceremony, held in Dubai, saw only Indonesia’s Padjadjaran University and the Daejeon University of South Korea beat UoB in this category, which commends teaching institutions for high quality sustainability work.

Through environmental projects – including the construction of A-class energy efficient buildings, the retrofitting of pre-existing faculties and the introduction of alternative-fuel vehicles for the university fleet – UoB has managed to hit its target of a 20% reduction in carbon emissions four years early.

Reflecting on the global recognition of this sustainability success, Director of Estates Trevor Payne said: ‘I am really delighted with this award. It represents the work of operational and academic colleagues across the institution, and the roll out of some really innovative solutions. […] The University is proud to be a global leader in environmental sustainability’.

The University is proud to be a global leader in environmental sustainability

The Green World Awards require the companies, organisations and governments entering the competition to submit a 2000-word submission proposal explaining their sustainability projects, and pay a £600 entry fee.

This award coincided with Go Green Week 2018, a seven-day annual programme organised by UoB and the Guild of Students to ‘help raise awareness of environmental issues and promote more sustainable lifestyles’. Events, such as a low-energy lightbulb giveaway and a discount on vegan and vegetarian food, were held in the Guild from the 5th February and promoted with Old Joe’s clock face turning green. Publicised on social media with the hashtag #BrumGoesGreen, the week also saw a large cardboard structure featuring sustainability facts and energy saving tips on display in Guild reception.

As a collective, the smallest everyday actions can have the biggest impacts

Nat Crawley, the Guild’s Ethical and Environmental Officer, spoke to Redbrick about Go Green Week, saying, ‘I think it was really successful, and we had a great variety of events […] I really think we did well to raise awareness! Especially with the launch of the Fossil Free Campaign and getting over 300 people putting their names down on our open letter! What makes it even better that was only after 2 days of campaigning!’

A spokesperson for UoB Environmental Society also commented: ‘Go Green Week is all about bringing the environmental degradation crisis into the mainstream, while giving everyone practical ways they themselves can make a difference – as a collective, the smallest everyday actions can have the biggest impacts’.

The yearly environmental programme is not specific to UoB, however, with over 140 universities across the UK having signed up to Go Green Week since its inception in 2012. The project aims to educate students on how to reduce their carbon footprints, alongside encouraging universities to introduce sustainability teaching into their curricula.

Redbrick News Editor & Elections Editor 2018. 2nd Year BA English Language and Literature. (@ErinSantillo)

3rd March 2018 at 9:00 am

Matt Buck