UoB Rises in the Times Rankings | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

UoB Rises in the Times Rankings

The University of Birmingham has been placed at number 15 in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018

Published on 24th September, the guide moved the University of Birmingham (UoB) up the rankings, an improvement on last year where the university was placed at number 16.

The Times Good University Guide is published annually and is determined based on nine different factors. These include: student satisfaction, research quality, entry standards, graduate prospects, student to staff ratios, service spending, degree results and degree completion rates. Institutions are rated on these aspects and ranked accordingly, with the guide providing a point of reference for prospective students when deciding on a university, as well as an in-depth analysis of Britain’s higher education.

Whilst Cambridge kept its place at number one overall and within 30 individual subjects, UoB was ranked highest for Anthropology and was also ranked 5th for graduate employment prospects. The most significant movement in the top ten included the University of Lancaster to sixth place and the University of Loughborough to seventh. Lancaster was named University of the Year 2018 and Nottingham Trent University was awarded Modern University of the Year.

'It’s a brilliant achievement and adds to the already great reputation of the university'

The University of Warwick, located in Coventry, was placed ninth, however, UoB was once again the highest ranked institution in Birmingham, with Aston University falling to 46th, and Birmingham City University being placed 105th.

When Redbrick asked students their opinion on being placed at number 15, Hannah Ephgrave, second year Chemistry student, said ‘it’s a brilliant achievement and adds to the already great reputation of the university’, with another commenting on how ‘this is just another reason for people to consider studying at Birmingham’.

The university was also placed at number 15 in the Guardian University Guide 2018, however, was placed 16th in the newest edition of the Complete University Guide.