General Election 2017: Who's Running in Your Constituency? | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

General Election 2017: Who’s Running in Your Constituency?

With under three weeks until polling day, News Editor Erin Santillo outlines the local candidates standing for parliament in the upcoming election

Recent polls suggest that the Conservatives – or Theresa May’s Team, as they are branding themselves – are set for a landslide victory at the General Election on 8th June, although their lead over Labour is now down to 9% according to YouGov (44% Conservative / 35% Labour) following the publishing of their manifestos last week.

But, predictions aside, it’s not the polls that will have the deciding voice on 8th June. That task is up to you

But, predictions aside, it’s not the polls that will have the deciding voice on 8th June. That task is up to you.

Therefore, I’ve compiled the lists of candidates running in the constituencies closest to the University of Birmingham (UoB) – Edgbaston, Selly Oak, and Ladywood – onto this handy page.

Edgbaston

Edgbaston

The Edgbaston constituency includes the wards of Harborne, Quinton, Bartley Green and Edgbaston, which covers student accommodation across the Vale, Liberty Gardens and Close, Liberty Court and Pritchatts Park.

Although traditionally considered a safe Conservative seat, Edgbaston has been under the control of Labour’s Gisela Stuart since 1997. Stuart won in 2015 with a slim majority of just 2,706 votes over the Tory hopeful, Luke Evans. Following the announcement of her stepping down, however, this seat has been labelled as one of the key ‘battleground’ constituencies on 8th June.

The 2017 candidates for this constituency are listed alphabetically by surname below:

Labour – Preet Gill

Liberal Democrat – Colin Green

Green Party – Alice Kiff

Common Good – Dick Rogers

Conservative – Caroline Squire

Selly Oak

Selly Oak

The constituency of Selly Oak covers the wards of Bournville, Selly Oak, Brandwood and Billesley. This is the main residential constituency for students studying at UoB.

Incumbent MP Steve McCabe held the Selly Oak seat in 2015 with a majority of 8,447, meaning that the constituency has been under Labour control for twenty-five years following the swing from the Conservatives in the 1992 General Election. Despite the apparent left-wing support, however, the party in third place – and behind the Conservatives – in 2015 was UKIP, with a vote share of 12.7%, ahead of the Liberal Democrats and the Green Party on 5.6% and 5.1% respectively.

Labour – Steve McCabe

Green Party – Julien Pritchard

Liberal Democrat – David Radcliffe

Conservative - Sophie Shrubsole

Ladywood

The Ladywood constituency comprises of the Soho, Aston, Ladywood and Nechells wards, and covers the city centre of Birmingham.

This constituency has been in Labour hands since 1970, and is currently represented in parliament by Shabana Mahmood MP, who won the 2015 General Election with a huge majority of 21,868 over the Conservatives – 73.6% of the vote. The city of Birmingham also voted resoundingly for the Labour candidate, Sion Simon, in the recent West Midlands Metro Mayor election, with 95,098 votes versus 73,578 for the eventual winner, Conservative Andy Street.

Conservative – Andrew Browning

Liberal Democrat – Lee Dargue

Green Party – Kefentse Dennis

Labour – Shabana Mahmood

Any views expressed in this article are those of the writer, and do not represent the views of Redbrick, the Guild of Students or the University of Birmingham. 

1st Year BA English Language and Literature & Redbrick News Editor (@ErinSantillo)

23rd May 2017 at 9:00 am

Flickr, N Chadwick, Wikimedia Commons and Roger Kidd