Selly Oak and Edgbaston to become One | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Selly Oak and Edgbaston to become One

The Boundary Commission has released its 2018 review, the conclusions of which would see Selly Oak and Edgbaston constituencies merge into one.

The parliamentary boundaries define the geographic area represented by each MP, and the review examines each existing constituency and recommends any changes that may need to be made to ensure that all legal requirements intended to keep the number of electors in each constituency body equal are maintained.

The 2018 review has begun as Parliament decided that the number of constituencies in the UK must be reduced from 650 to 600. The law requires that each constituency other than four specified island constituencies must have between 72,031 and 78,507 electors. This is decided by a formula known as the ‘Sainte-Lague’ method.

The decision of Parliament to implement these changes has not been one that has been met by universal support, with many people including third year History and Politics student, Will, saying that it is a ‘massive waste of public money when there are other things to be concerned about’. However, with the electoral system constantly under fire in the attempt to have a fully equal and fair system, a more equal system could silence these claims.

What does this mean for the West Midlands and Birmingham?

The number of constituencies in England would reduce from 533 to 501, a fall which would be reflected in the West Midlands with the number dropping from 59 to 53. In the wider Birmingham sub-region the number of constituencies is also planned to fall from 36 to 32 seats. Under the new proposals only six of the current constituencies would remain the same.

Students might also see a change if they are a registered to vote in Birmingham, as Selly Oak and Edgbaston are set to become under the charge of one MP if the proposed changes go ahead. The new constituency would include the university, the Vale and up to Five Ways train station. It would also cover the breadth of two of the popular student areas, Harborne and Selly Oak, but not Bournville.

If you disagree with the proposed changes they are consulting the revised proposal for an eight week period from the 17th October 2017 until 11th December 2017 and they encourage everyone to use the final opportunity to contribute to the design of the new constituencies.