Orphan Black Streams on Netflix | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Orphan Black Streams on Netflix

UK members of the clone club can now keep up with the latest episodes as Orphan Black season 4 is now streaming on Netflix.

Clone club members can rejoice as Orphan Black makes its greatly anticipated return to the UK version of popular streaming site, Netflix.

After the third series of the Canadian sci-fi television series quietly aired in the UK last September with a 1:30am slot on BBC Three, fans wouldn’t be blamed for thinking this was the last they would see of Sarah Manning and her clone sisters. Luckily, Netflix has come to the rescue revealing new episodes from series 4 weekly to complement the three series already in their catalogue.

'Without this lifeline, fans may have been forced into the depths of pirated television to keep up with the latest Orphan Black revelations...'
This is excellent news for fans of the show, who without this lifeline, may have been forced into the depths of pirated television to keep up with the latest Orphan Black revelations. A weekly upload from series 4 also means that UK viewers can see the latest episodes almost simultaneously with US viewers, eliminating the pesky problem of much-hated spoilers.

Canadian actress, Tatiana Maslany, has received widespread critical acclaim for her roles in Orphan Black, in which she portrays not one, but five main characters, in addition to making brief appearances as several other clones, including transgender male, Tony.

'Tatiana Maslany has received widespread critical acclaim for her roles in Orphan Black, in which she portrays not one, but five main characters...'
The series revolves around five clones, separated before birth but brought together by a murderous plot. Each of the sisters has her own character quirks, history and motives, as they struggle to solve the mysteries behind their existence, and avoid being killed by mysterious corporations in the process.

Amongst Maslany’s finest moments are the rare occasions on which she portrays one clone…who is in turn, pretending to be a different clone. For example, despite their near-identical looks, Maslany still manages to convince viewers that the character she is playing is not in fact rebellious, English-accented Sarah Manning, but is actually organised and scheming “soccer mom” Alison Hendrix in disguise.

Her acting during the series has been praised by The Guardian, which described her performance in 2014 as “Olympic-level, endurance acting.”

With this kind of critical acclaim, it seems strange to fans that BBC Three had previously buried the show in an early-morning graveyard slot, and undoubtedly they will be pleased to know that Netflix has taken up the reins.

New episodes of Orphan Black are released every Friday on Netflix UK.

Biochemistry student and blogger. Particularly interested in science and technology, gaming and TV. (@elliempatten)

Digital Spy and BBC America