Peaky Blinders Series 3 Birmingham Premiere | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Peaky Blinders Series 3 Birmingham Premiere

TV Editor Matt Dawson hits the red carpet as the stars come out for the Birmingham premiere of Peaky Blinders series 3

The stars came to Birmingham on Wednesday 4th May to celebrate the return of Peaky Blinders series 3. At a lavish event held at The Mailbox’s Everyman Cinema, the cast and creators paraded the red carpet with the backdrop of the sun setting against the city’s famous canals in advance of a screening of the premiere episode. The eager crowd (some even wearing period 1920s dress) awaited the arrival of the celebrities, while they were warmed up by Smethwick-born BBC West Midlands Presenter Richie Anderson. Local celebrities such as comedian Jasper Carrot and Birmingham City FC manager Gary Rowett were the first to arrive, before the main cast were welcomed to cries of excitement. There was a particular popularity for the shows lead Cillian Murphy (also known for roles in 28 Days Later and Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight Trilogy) as he returns for the third series as Thomas Shelby, the leader of the titular Brummie gang.

'There is a lot of new characters coming in to play, and going very international.'
Talking about what to expect this series, actor Packy Lee (who plays recurring character Johnny Dogs) says: "it has changed a lot, gone up a lot more in style, risk and excitement. There is a lot of new characters coming in to play, and going very international." When asked on how this has influenced his role, Lee added that it has "impacted my character a lot, Stephen (Knight, Peaky Blinders’ creator) has been very generous to me and my character, and I am very happy to be there [and] delighted to represent the Gypsy characters in the TV show."

One of these newer characters is Linda Shelby, a new romantic interest for Arthur. Speaking about her role, actress Kate Phillips said “she is new woman in Arthur’s life, and she has a huge impact on him. It is an interesting twist for Arthur, as it gives him a new perception of the world and gives him strength, which is an interesting journey for him.” Obviously with Peaky Blinders being set in the 1920s, attitudes in that era were different, and Phillips elaborated on this: “you have got to take into account the context of the time, and the relationship women have with their partners. Linda herself comes from a Quaker background, where the women have a larger role to play in that community and this is reflected in the dynamic between her and Arthur."

Peaky Blinding! Left to Right: Gaite Jansen (Tatiana Petrovna), Stephen Knight (show creator), Cillian Murphy (Thomas Shelby), Packy Lee (Johnny Dogs), Jordan Bolger (Isiah)

'Everyone is really focused and wants to make the best out of it...'
Also debuting in series 3 is Stephanie Hyam as Charlotte Murray. While not much is known about her character, she told Redbrick “she’s from London so this is all very exciting for her… she is an outsider, but jumps straight in and is very excitable, but you’ll have to wait and see!"

Developing the international feel of the show, Dutch actress Gaite Jansen (who will appear on our screens as Russian duchess Tatiana Petrovna) comments on the filming process: "the biggest difference [in filming Peaky Blinders] is that film actors are taken more seriously. There are high expectations of what we do, which makes me feel very comfortable because I feel that everyone is really focused and wants to make the best out of it."

Peaky Blinders is set to return for a third series on Thursday 5th May, BBC Two at 9pm. You can catch up on the first two series on Netflix.

Final year Modern Languages student, TV Editor, using student journalism as a post-Erasmus coping mechanism. (@mdawson_96)

5th May 2016 at 1:42 pm

BBC and Matt Dawson