Review: Free*Soul Vegan Collection | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Review: Free*Soul Vegan Collection

Caitlin Dickinson reviews the Vegan Collection from Free*Soul, a protein brand tailored to women's nutritional needs.

In the current food fashions of 2018 there has been a shift towards protein blends and exercise enhancers which are not just natural and healthy for the body, but simultaneously sustainable and pure. In a market that may be daunting and confusing for newcomers, there is an overwhelming array of products offering different results, flavours, and uses. This is where Free*Soul, amidst superficial products, sits faultlessly as a protein.

This protein is comprised of lean plant-based proteins such as hemp, made to suit women’s hormone balance and energy

As a regular gym goer, I have been very tame when it comes to protein. My diet pattern has consisted mainly of low-fat, low-carb and an abundance of veg after a gym session, which has produced pleasing results, but I have always wondered if I could take it that step further and see what using a protein would be like on my exercise regime. When the stylish packing of the Free*Soul products arrived, I was set free of worry with the assurance that the product is 100% vegan and made from natural sources. Unlike many protein blends on the market that are bulked out with milk powder, this protein is comprised of lean plant-based proteins such as hemp, made to suit women’s hormone balance and energy.

Amongst the protein sat a Free*Soul's "Wake Tea" for mornings when you need a zingy kick to start a busy day of lectures and seminars, and a "Sleep Tea" to be taken after the heavy workout is done and you want to wind down for the evening. Both tea blends had a delicious scent to them and gorgeous silk pyramid sachets which could be used on the go around campus if need be.

The package further contained a fashionable shaker. I have previously presumed that shakers were all the same, however this shaker exceeded expectation upon my first use as it retained both a cool temperature and had simple measurements on the side for adding water or dairy-free milk. The final asset in the box was a pack of PWRful tablets. These contained black pepper, turmeric, green tea and cayenne. These tablets boost antioxidant and anti-inflammatory actions within the body and they have no plastic coating making them gentle for the stomach.

The day after I received the pack I set to work on using the protein with the shaker, tea blends and PWR tablets. In the morning I logically started with the "Wake Tea". The fragrance was similar to an Oolong tea, but it had the sweet undertones of lemon to give you the zing you need to get the day started. The invigorating tea was an absolute delight to drink in the morning with a light breakfast. I was also curious about the inclusion of ‘Bergamot’ in the tea, as I had never heard of this ingredient, let alone tried in before. According to Free*Soul's website, this ingredient is rich in antioxidants which help the immune system and mimic the effect of statins on cholesterol. This is was such surprisingly good news, that I decided to take another bag to uni with me so I could have another tea with my lunch.

Bergamot is rich in antioxidants which help the immune system and mimic the effect of statins on cholesterol.

Further in the day, after an hour cardio session in the gym, I set about on using the protein shake. I was given the chocolate flavour vegan protein which came in a handy sized pack with re-sealable top to retain the powder's freshness. I mixed this with soy milk and ice, which is my own personal preference with protein. There are other mixers available, such as just water or almond milk, but personally I prefer soy milk. The protein in Free*Soul's powder comes from pea, flaxseed, Peruvian maca and hemp making this 100% vegan and natural. After using approximately three scoops of powder in my shake I was pleasantly surprised by the thick, yet light taste from the shake. Although it may take a while to combine the protein and soy milk, the results were worth it. When the lumps were incorporated into the mixture it tasted incredibly chocolatey and pure, not artificial like other vegan protein blends. A couple of hours after taking the shake, and the next "Wake Tea", I certainly felt more invigorated and energised than most days.

...it tasted incredibly chocolatey and pure, not artificial like other vegan protein blends.

I finally set about sampling the "Sleep Tea". This was a blend of liquorice, apple, lime flower and moringa for a calm and restful sleep. The more obscure ingredient of moringa, alternatively known as the product from a drumstick tree, is comprised of amino acids and vitamins A, C and E. Once again the high content of natural products that are proven to be beneficial health supplements surprised me. I gladly took this calming tea, which is something I would usually not do in the evening. Gradually as the evening wound down, I felt calmer and more relaxed, which in a busy exam period is a great feeling.

The products I received from Free*Soul were surprisingly different to other proteins and health tea blends available on the market right now.

The products I received from Free*Soul were surprisingly different to other proteins and health tea blends available on the market right now. The overwhelming natural taste and quality associated with each product that I received, especially the tea blends, will make me go back and get more! If you are looking for something natural, beneficial to your health and incredibly revitalising I would recommend Free*Soul protein and tea blends.

English Literature BA Undergraduate and Redbrick Food&Drink Editor. (@caitlinabby)

30th May 2018 at 9:00 am

Free*Soul