Review: Riverdale - Season 2 Mid-Season Finale | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Review: Riverdale – Season 2 Mid-Season Finale

TV Critic Madeline McInnis gives her views on the slightly underwhelming mid-season finale of Riverdale season 2

This season of Riverdale promised us dark storylines, a disguised murderer, and a thicker, scarier plot than the first season. It has delivered that, but a lot of frustration along the way. The show always has its share of annoying subplots, but this season it seems hard to tell what the main plot actually is. The first season had the murder of Jason Blossom, the second was supposed to be the Black Hood. But with the ‘Black Hood’ killed off a quarter of the season ago, we’re stuck riding along with the (admittedly quite dark) daily lives of the characters instead. Does anyone actually believe that the Black Hood is dead? The explanation is way too convenient. His purported ‘reveal’ involves a man who murdered another man by misidentifying him. The Black Hood warns other characters to ‘think on their sins’ or else, so it’s too much to believe that the mirroring of the situations is actually true.

The season has really dragged in a middle, but the last few episodes have been intense
It’s not terrible that Riverdale has such predictable writing. But holding that the ‘Black Hood’ has been caught for this many episodes? It will seem cheap when they bring him back now, and I’m expecting it to happen on the season finale, by this point. The season has really dragged in a middle, but the last few episodes have been intense — so much so they’ve included a dead body and a mob boss. Just a typical day in the town of Riverdale.

The show is a teen soap opera with its own share of teen drama to go with it. It’s not really an intellectual watch. If the big reveal from the first season is anything to go off of, there won’t be very many hints as to where (and who) the loose ends are until the big reveal. But the theories are fun and creative to get into.

Despite it not being the best written or the most engaging show in the world, it is highly addictive
Despite it not being the best written or the most engaging show in the world, it is highly addictive. When I went to watch it on Wednesday (7th February) but it wasn’t up yet, I nearly had a meltdown. They always leave the episodes on a cliffhanger and its never really fully concluded either. Within a few episodes, the old plot points are usually resolved and replaced with something new. It makes for a quick turnover, but also keeps it interesting. It gives it a crime soap-opera feel, but there are definitely worse things that it could do.

For the remainder of the season, I’m waiting to hear about Hermione Lodge, the Black Hood, and what mischief Cheryl gets up to. I’m most excited for what happens with Chic and who he really is. Only time will tell, especially for these characters. With it still being so popular, I think it’s fairly safe to assume that some of those questions will remain unanswered until season three.

(@madmcin)

21st February 2018 at 9:00 am

That Nerd Show and The CW