State Champs and Neck Deep’s Ben Barlow have teamed up for ‘Everybody But You,’ a song that is bound to get stuck in your head, Music Editor Sammy Andrews reviews

MA Shakespeare Studies student

State Champs and Neck Deep’s Ben Barlow have collaborated and made a song that can only be described as an insanely catchy burst of pop-punk fun. ‘Everybody But You’ is an anthem for casting off negative people and embracing joy back into your life, and State Champs deliver it with such a strong punchiness that it is guaranteed to get stuck in your head. This collaboration between two of the biggest pop-punk bands making music right now is a welcome affirmation of the place of the genre right now, and is an exciting look into its future, particularly ahead of State Champs’ upcoming album.

What this song does best is that it is unapologetically fun. From the incredibly catchy hook in the chorus of ‘enough is enough, what the f**k was I thinking?’ to the explosions of guitars and drums that pulse throughout the song and break you away from softer moments. Addressing someone that is draining the vitality out of their life, State Champs reach a breaking point, declaring ‘I’m having a party / Inviting everybody but you.’ Balancing these upbeat musical moments with playful and at times amusingly childish statements, State Champs capture a cathartic burst of freedom and joy in this song.

The song is a statement of freedom delivered with the perfect amount of tongue-in-cheek angst

Ben Barlow’s collaboration though brief within the song is nothing but special. Entering the song with a whimsically melodic bridge, his vocals swing alongside the guitar lines to create a really fun moment that shines out within the song. His moments within ‘Everybody But You’ speak to the wider sense of the song – playfully bursting out of what could be quite a bleak subject. Every twist from the stripped back verses to the punchiness of the choruses keeps the song exciting and enables it to never fall flat or monotonous.

‘Everybody But You’ plays around with its seriousness whilst still offering an undeniably catchy earworm. The song is a statement of freedom delivered with the perfect amount of tongue-in-cheek angst to ensure it remains great to shout along too. Both cathartic and joyful, ‘Everybody But You’ is a energetic collaboration between two of the biggest names in pop-punk right now, and is a bursting reminder how good music can sound when its simply having fun.

Single Review: Meet Me @ The Altar – Feel A Thing

Live Review: Waterparks

Album Review: Between You & Me – Armageddon