Music Critic Aimee Sargeant reviews the latest single from up-and-coming band, The New Twentys, describing ‘You Got Me Good’ as an upbeat and feel-good song

Written by Aimee Sargeant
Second-year Music Editor

The New Twentys are a new up-and-coming band from around London who have released three singles so far between 2020 and 2021. Their new single ‘You Got Me Good’ was recently released and on the basis of this release, I think that they are an underrated band. With the troubles of Coronavirus, they have not been able to play to an audience to showcase their new music. Without these troubles, however, I think The New Twentys would be a band that would have more attention.

The music resembles a quintessential, 1980s Alt-Pop sound that has very catchy lyrics and a singable chorus

‘You Got Me Good’ is an upbeat and feel-good song. The music resembles a quintessential, 1980s Alt-Pop sound that has very catchy lyrics and a singable chorus. Although, they definitely have a modern take on this style which makes their material really easy to listen to. The contemporary stylistic elements of the guitar riffs and playing really add to this sense of catchiness. With all that being said, the fullness of the vocals from the lead singer Jimmy and the backing vocals of Harry add to this flare of energy. 

The lyrics are also as catchy as the music. They are equally poetic and drenched in authenticity of love and longing for someone. This provides the perfect backdrop that matches the band’s musical talent and style. I think ‘You Got Me Good’ is captivating and it got stuck in my head on a loop. The New Twentys have crafted something that appears to be original to their own style and I can vibe with the band’s music.

‘You Got Me Good’ is available now via The New Twentys

You Might Also Like

Single Review: Wolf Alice – Last Man on Earth

Single Review: Cassia – Don’t Make a Scene

Album Review: Hayley Williams – FLOWERS for VASES / descansos